What's new

Apartment wars and my new tempest (1 Viewer)

James Slade

Second Unit
My sonotube tempest will be finished in a few days. I live in a small apartment building with six one bedroom apartments. I live in ground level, there are 2 apartments per level. The new guy next door is a real a22hole. He plays extremely loud music all the tmie.

My systems is this

32in vega

Denon avr 3300

paradigm studio 100's

paradigm studio 20's

soon to have Adire Alignment Tempest sonotube powered by a qsc rmx 850.

I have spoken to my landlord about this problem on a few occasions, but the problem isn't going away. I am framiliar with my local noise laws. I would like to go head to head with this loser. My apartment is 500^2 feet all six are the same, 8 foot high ceilings. I hope to rock this whole building on a regular basis until everybody is so mad the landlord has to do something. I don't mind losing my place at all.

His system appears through the window to be nothing great maybe a pair of old 3 way cerwins with 12 inch drivers and an old crappy but powerful amp!!!!!!!!!

Can I do it with this system? Has anyone ever been in a similar situation? Please understand I tried all possible other options to solve this problem save breaking my lease and paying a penalty.

trevis_h

Auditioning
James,

I have the Denon AVR-3200 at 80W X 5 driving Paradigm 2 LCR-450's 1 CC-450, and 2 Studio-ADP's. I only have a Paradigm ps-1200 sub. This is set up in my 1200 square foot house. With all the doors closed and playing the Tea Party DVD in DD 5.1 at -10 on the dial, I went 1/2 a block down the street to get the mail (about 12 houses). After opening up the mail box and starting to walk back, I could clearly make out the song playing. You should be able to make this jerks walls shake. Just one word of advice, make sure you play somthing completely different from his music. Chances are it will bug him so much he will complain.

P.S.

The guy next to me complained about the noise of my theater once. He came over and started reaming me out, till he saw I was watching Star Wars Episode I on DVD. I wouldn't let him in until he went and got some beer for the movie. Since the he is always over watching movies. I Haven't had to rent a DVD for 3 months.

Trevis

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
Well, in my area it'a a police matter, not the landlord's problem. Of course if they deal with it you won't be able to listen to your system at any decent level 'cause he'll be the one calling. :frowning:
If you get into a 'battle of the bands' then you're both in trouble with the law and the landlord. :angry:
Sounds like you need to look for different digs.
GM

James Slade

Second Unit
It is only a police matter here if it is in the middle of the night. He does his thing morning noon and night.

I built my sub for fun I never even intended to buy the amp while I am living here, since the landlord isn't much help, I don't really care about sticking around, I have a place to go, I really just want to bother the guy, without getting arrested.

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
hello james,
just out of curiosity, how many feet is the longest dimension of the room that this sub is going into? :D

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
In that case, place all your speakers as close as you can to an adjoining wall and begin playing some special effects at one notch below blowing them up beginning as soon as he does, then wait for the police to come. Of course wear earplugs.

GM

A

Anthony_Gomez

You should play random length/timing pulses of high spl 10-15hz tones. The rattling will annoy the hell out of him and the frequencies are too low to really locate. If you do it right, He will think that there are a string of small earthquakes.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Just don't play the pulses too long, or it will make you feel queezy and defeat the fun of this game

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget to turn up the bass boost. A big boost around 50-60Hz is really annoying as it migrates through the walls.

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
The problem with really low frequencies is it may/probably damage the building (drywall, plaster, whatever) and other folks personal belongings, but TW's got the right idea that I forgot to mention. Boosted treble too since HF gets attenuated by the construction.

GM

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I used to have some jerk neighbors who worked second shift or something and they would come home and f&ck around in their garage until all hours.

Once in a while I would throw in my stryke test cd and crank a 40Hz sine wave. My whole house would resonate.

I don't know if they heard it or not.. it just made me feel better.

Ron Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
Its still a police matter. Just because its during the day means nothing. Disturbing the peace is disturbing the peace. Check with the PD and see.

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
due to the surely inflammatory and possibly illicit although unperpetrated to date nature of this thread i hereby rescind my earlier post and any implications thereof or coincidental inferences you may draw as to the propagation or ramifications of producing any standing, supplemental, or harmonic sonic radiation for the purposes of harassment or the terrorization of any individual. however, if the topic of this tread were to be mitigated to, "how to design or build an annoying subwoofer", then i'm in like flynn ;) good day.

Mike Dr

Stunt Coordinator
well, like it or not, you're gonna have to "break in" the subwoofer right? and no better way than to pump 10 - 80hz tones or pink noise or something .. or those delightful warble tones.. so set that up for 8 hrs or so while you're at work next to his wall ;) (make sure everything in your house is fastened well or you'll find broken dishes when u come back)
good luck :D

itai

Stunt Coordinator
hey, you are all very irresponsible!!!
James! are you nuts? Denon 3300??? you are putting your precious paradigms at risk of distorted sound my man.
what you need first and foremost is a decent power amp.
like the rotel 1095 for instance. that way, you, and the rest of the crapy apartment house, will enjoy some true, audiophile, high end music. or sine waves, whatever. just dont strain that ol 3300 for the love of god.
80x5! jeez!
give them power!
;)

Vince Bray

Stunt Coordinator
Why don't you get the industrial size buttkicker, and bolt it to the adjoining wall. hook up a cd player straight to the amp ( oh, and you don't need a volume control ) and let it rock. You don't want to stress your system unnecessarily, and the buttkicker will sure come in handy when you're done. I kind of like the stryke cd idea, or just get the worst bass torture disc you can find and set it to loop. Then go to work...
Oh, look they're $399 at http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...e?q=buttkicker
Vince

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
Hey James,
Interestingly I just read an article in this month's LIVE Sound Int. It was a small story talking about low frequency ambient noises. Most were below the threshold of hearing, but the subtle SPLs can cause some interesting reactions in people. In some cases making people very uncomfortable, and in 2 or 3 interesting cases, people thought they were having paranormal experiences. The supposed approximate frequency for this paranormal effect was around 19Hz. In this case it was caused by the HVAC system and a fan which excited a corridoor's resonance. I have to give that one a try with my ContraBass. Might be quite amusing to loop a ~19Hz signal into your sub when you know your neighboor is home, and turn it up to just below the level of audibility and without causing crazy vibrations in the building. Then leave for about 1/2 hour. ;)
The paranormal experiences aren't that radical a concept. The hypothesis was that the resonance of the eyeball socket is somewhere around this frequency. People generally thought they saw grey apperitions and felt that someone was watching them or even breathing down their neck.
While some people think this may be a reason to not want deep bass in their home theaters, quite the opposite is true. These frequencies excite more than an auditory response, making the excitement in a situation/scene more extreme.
Good Luck!
Mark Seaton
Sound Physics Labs / ServoDrive

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.