Apartment vs Townhouse

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Scott L, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Hi guys, my brother and I are still living at home in our senior year of college plus we have a rich friend living at home too (still in college). We all have jobs so we are starting to look at places in the area.

One thing I noticed about the apartment complexes is that they operate on this rule called tax credit, meaning the rent is lower but the tennants have to meet certain requirements. We have to make over $36k but under $47k a year, and we can't all be full-time students. Weird laws but we meet these requirements.

My big question is I see some 3 level townhomes that are only about $200/mo more than a cramped 3 bedroom apartment. Why would anyone choose the apartment over the townhouse.. is there more to it I'm not seeing?

2. Phil Kim

Phil Kim Stunt Coordinator

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

And what happens after you are done with your senior year? New lease with a higher price?

Glenn

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

nah price will stay the same. Tax credit isn't directed towards students, just to benefit a certain income bracket, I guess.

5. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

At least in townhomes you don't hear everything that's going on next door. The ones I have been in had either concrete walls or major soundproofing. Apartments almost never do, just a regular wall separating you and the idiot next door that listens to loud rap music.

6. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

I said I would turn it down!! GEEEEEEEEZ LOUISE!!!!!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

8. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Plus with townhomes you will also sometimes have the joy of upkeeping your yard, sidewalks etc, unless that is covered by condo fees. Apartments you don't generally have to worry about mowing or shoveling. [​IMG]

9. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

In my area there isn't any such rules and anybody can live anywhere assuming they meet the conditions of the complex itself. Also, in my area there are very few townhouses for rent, much fewer than apartments.

So for me, it wouldn't be a matter of apartment vs townhouse, it would be rent vs buy. A big distinction.

Also, I've never been much for living with other people (except my husband and family, of course). I would never share a place with 2 friends so the "cramped 3 bedroom" would never come into play and $200/month more is ridiculous for something I don't need. I had a cheap 1 bdrm apartment for years that suited me fine. At $400/month, spending an extra $200/month would be 50% more and way out of my budget.

It just depends on your needs. $200 between three people isn't a whole lot but with one person, it sure is.