Apartment Sized Home Theater

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Farrel, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Farrel

Farrel Auditioning

Do to a difference of opinion with my wife I'm going to be leaving my home surround system for a new apartment. I plan to use a 42 DLP set for the video but wonder if it might be too big for apartment sized space. I'm guessing viewing distance will be about 8 to 10 ft.

My biggest question is how to get good quality sound, preferably on a budget. I don't know how I can run cables for rears unless I just lay them out on the floor. Plus space for the rears could be a problem. I saw a Bose system that works with just fronts and a sub-woofer but I know the thinking about Bose speakers on this forum.

I also saw some information about some new Yamaha YSP speakers that generate surround sound from a multi driver single speaker unit that sits under the monitor.

Any thoughts on either of these two products, or other ideas about sound systems for apartment living. Please respect the neighbors...

2. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

I've got a condo and turned the 2nd bedroom into a dedicated theater room. You really don't have to compromise much, at least not as drastically as you're thinking. Bose! [​IMG]

I've got a 42" plasma and a full 5.1 setup in there, and I play it plenty loud. The only thing I dislike about it, is that I have to have the surrounds mounted right above the couch due to size restrictions on the room. They still sound good, but it would be better if it wasn't. Wires go up and around door frames for the most part. Not as nice as built in to the wall, but they're off the ground. The subwoofer had to be placed next to the couch due to size constraints; but it can now do double duty as an endtable. [​IMG]

So, there is some compromise, but nothing really drastic. It is important to callibrate the speakers properly, but you might find it's easier to do that in a small space than a large one. I like the sound of the room, it really encapsulates you in the audio.

3. Farrel

Farrel Auditioning

Thanks for the info. I take it you like your Bose system.

4. Joe Mann

Joe Mann Auditioning

Check out audioholic's review for the Yamaha YSP-1, I can't link to there page, but go to there website and check under their "Entry-Level $3000 Budget System"

I've never heard it, but audioholics loves it:
    "We decided that at this price point, one of the best possible systems could be had by combining the receiver and loudspeakers into a single device that we found to be an outstanding performer. The ease with which the Yamaha YSP-1 Digital Sound Projector can engulf the listener in a three-dimensional, immersive environment, especially with a very typical, acoustically live room is head-and-ears above most wall or ceiling-mounted surround speaker systems. Women notice this honest portrayal-of-naturalness difference immediately. Plus there are no ugly protuberances adorning their walls or sound attempting to be hidden within the walls. No ugly wires either. Add this all together and it's no wonder this is the perfect system in which to feature this unit"

5. Marc L

Marc L Stunt Coordinator

I think Ronn is saying that you don't have to "settle" for a Bose system. I don't think he has one.

BTW, I've installed the Bose 3-2-1 system (the one you mentioned) for a customer, and i must say...it was awful.

6. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

Yep. I have a Pioneer receiver driving JBL Northridge E series speakers.

7. steveBose

steveBose Extra

I used to own the first series Bose 3-2-1 system, for $1000 my family thought it wasnt worth it. There is just no real way you can make 2 speakers sound like 5...

8. steveBose

steveBose Extra

forgot to add that we brought it back if you had'nt figured