Apartment life bites

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad Isaacs, Oct 19, 2001.

1. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

Well,we recently moved back to an apartment,us and our home theater system.
    Well,I have tried several things to make it as painless for my neighbors as possible.I was almost hoping to get somewhat noisy neighbors so I could have a little fun...no such luck.
    Here is what I have tried.
    I put my svs vrey close to my couch...not to bad there
    Ran my mains large,ok I guess but I perfer them small
    Rehooked my shakers...good
    Turned the volume way down...bad...but...it works
    So,the way it is on now,everything set to small,sub is set very low,shakers are cranked up.They are just the aura's from parts express last year and to my suprise they handled T.P.M with no troubles at all.I thought they would bottom out for sure...not at all.They left me thinking..How much cooler would it be if I added....6 more shakers to my couch,I still have 3 more un used channels on my old amp and I run 2 shakers per channel..
    So now,I constantly have to stand up because the shakers fool me,I think for sure my sub got cranked up,but then one I get away from the shakin..its just the way it should be.
    If anybody has any tips,lemme know

2. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Unfortunately the only true answer that can be given to you is get back out of the apartment living or find neighbors who dont mind. This topic keeps coming up and the basic response is if you have neighbors (connected walls) then they determine what is the right/wrong levels so sit down and talk with them, Heck they might even join you for movie night [​IMG]
    KyleS

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

4. Joe Greca

Joe Greca Stunt Coordinator

I also live in an apartment, and yes, its awful. I was considering some bass shakers myself to help with the situation... Are there any I can buy, or do I have the get them off ebay? Is it going to be a huge project to install them?

5. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

I live in an appartment as well. I have the Onkyo 595 and like to watch movies at around 65. So far my neighbors havn't complained at all. I guess its because its a college town and people are used to noise. I also dont turn it up that loud after about 8pm, which sucks because thats the prime time for movie watching for me.
    I got a kick out of it when my friend came over this afternoon and said he knew the HT was in action because he could feel the bass as he walked up to the appartment! Man episode one has great sound.
    Good luck in your new pad

6. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

Living in an apartment basically sucks for HT. There is no way around it. Even if your neighbors are pretty cool about it, you still have to be considerate at various times. I remember getting my Star Wars: Phantom MenaceJapanese LD in the mail a while back. I got home late from work one night around 11:30PM. I was dying to crank this sucker up, but realized that there was no way my downstairs neighbors were going to put up with that at that hour. We just moved into our own home this summer. When I grabbed my SW: EP1 DVD last week, I again returned home late at night. This time I was relaxed and popped in the DVD at 11 that night and watched almost all of it...running well past midnight and at unbelievable levels.
    ------------------
    Sound InSight Audio Video
    My Home Theater Pics
    My Equipment List
    My DVD Collection
    My LD Collection

7. EugeneR

EugeneR Second Unit

You just need the right apartment! I have no adjoining walls with any of my neighbors, except for my ceiling. When we first came to look at it, I looked around and said "I'm gonna get a sub!!!!" Haven't had any complaints yet...

8. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

I had a buddy over last night and i turned on the ole svs and played demos from..
    dts demo disc #4
    the kenwood disc
    twister
    bone collector
    gone in 60 seconds
    and of course...TPM
    It was between 6 and 7 so Nobody said anything,I had it playing around 60ish db so it really wasent to bad.