Apartment: JBL S10 w/o Sub or S38 with?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jefferson G, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Jefferson G

Jefferson G Auditioning

***Apartment: JBL S310 w/o Sub or S38 with?***
    Ok, this may be confusing to anyone who actually remembers my previous threads: Svs and To Upgrade or To Wait...... .
    Basically, I bought the S-Center and S38s for my fronts and decided I wanted an SVS, received clearance from the wife and then I made a fatal mistake. I showed her a screenshot. A resounding no way was her reply.
    Now I have a new question. Since the SVS PCi 25-31 isn't possible I've decided on one of two setups now including timbre matched rears, based on my "new" budget:
    Setup 1:
    Center: JBL S-Center
    Fronts: JBL S38
    Rear: JBL S26
    Sub: Sony SA-WM40
    Setup 2:
    Center: JBL S-Center
    Fronts: JBL S310
    Rear: JBL S26
    Sub: none
    Right now I am really leaning towards that second setup for a variety of reasons including: longevity, speaker placement, and the second setup may mean less nickel-and-diming after the purchase (polyfill for the sub and purchasing extra speaker stands). The problem is that I'll probably be without a sub for around 1.5 - 3 years, but still in an apartment for at least a year and a half.
    I haven't demo'd the 310s at home but did like their sound at BB. Another thing I'd like to mention is that due to space the horizontal placement of the S38s could be a problem space-wise, but not if I can place them vertical.
    I know a lot of people here have similar setups to both of the previously mentioned so I leave it up to the gurus and wizards to guide me to the Cracks of Doom!!

2. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Be forewarned, a guru or a wizard I am not, but .02ยข I have to give, and we have something in common- I am an apartment dweller- ouch! Here's what I think: A sub is a wonderful thing- it allows you to "feel" movies, not just here them; it will take away some of the stress from the mains as they will be set to small when you use the sub for HT application; you will regret not having a sub after visiting a friend who has one (and you want one- you do- it shows [​IMG] But best of all- there is a small "hold me over sub," that I think has many advantages over the Sony- including much better looks (great for WAF), better price/performance ratio than the Sony, better build, needs no mods, and has had a great response on this forum- it's the DLS 10 from PartsExpress.com. I have this sub and it runs for $99.80 (part #300-630)- cost me less than $115.00 shipped. Because the Sub bass will handle the lows, you could go with the S26ers all around or something if the horizontal/speaker stand issue is a problem. The difference between watching a movie with a sub and without is night and day. People are blown away when they "feel" my entry level system- and that doesn't mean loud- although it can mean that, too. Read the very long post on the DLS started by Steve nn- it's a pretty active thread, so it should be easy to find. I highly recommend having a sub, even my 6.5 year old said "Dad it sounds great," when watching one of her DVD's. For a hundred bucks- you get a lot of sub for your money without any hassle. Then when you move- buy the SVS and sell the hold me over sub- but I bet you won't. As far as neighbors are concerned, in the late night hours I view movies in night mode which makes a big difference, and when I want to blast my music- I turn the sub off and set my mains to large. But like most people, I listen at moderate levels for the most part, and the sub has not been a problem at all with the neighbors. I don't know your situation, room size, type of floors, etc., but in general- the .1 in an HT system makes for a great experience. My wife has even come to appreciate it- and that's a big deal!

3. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

SVS has box subs coming soon...plus, heck, I bought a SVS without her knowing, and she doesn't mind it at all...and her and her family are interior design type people...I think the sub looks good myself...its always in a corner, out of the way, and maybe a conversation piece, as no one has seen one[​IMG] I use JBL s26's all the way around...sounds very good[​IMG]