What's new

Apartment Hunting (1 Viewer)

AllanN

Supporting Actor
While I've finally done it. My credit cards are paid off. I have a good job, its time to leave the nest. Im going to save up some money and start looking for apartments, hoping to move in at the end of November. Any tips or suggestions to help me find a good place? Also what are some good companies for renters insurance?

EDIT: I just noticed I misspelled apartment in the title can a mod please change that for me. Thanks in advance.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Allan,

I am totally unfamiliar with your part of the world, so this may not work for you, but...

I try to shun the newspaper ads. I find them mostly useless. An apartment can sound terrific, but turn out to be a dump.

What I've always done is just go walking around the neighborhoods I'm considering looking for "For Rent" signs. I bring a pen and paper, so I can jot down phone numbers, addresses and any notes about the places.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Just find an area where you want to live and looks nice. Then just go around to different apartment complexes and walk in and tell them what you are looking for (1 bedroom? 2 bedroom? What floor?). They'll give you the floor plans with prices and probably take you to check out what they look like. Make sure you ask how old they are. Make sure the area has the cable and broadband you want (if thats important). Ask about washer and driers, microwaves, dishwashers. Also look online. Places like rent.net are good. Just google for apartment rentals. Also remember, they are willing to make deals. Ask them what specials they got going. If you find some places you like use them against eachother to see who will give you the best deal. I've gotten money back offers, percentage off, free covered parking, even free move-in gifts. There are also apartment hunters that you can hire. You tell them what you are looking for then they drive you around and help you get the best deal. It is a free service so don't use anyone that charges. They get a commission from the apartment complexes.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
If you're interested in DirecTV, make sure you have access to a roof or place to mount your dish.
I prefer to stay away from big buildings and look for a duplex or flat. I prefer dealing with one neighbor instead of many, especially with my HT. Give up a little on the social life and hte chance to meet cute women, but my SO prefers it that way. :)

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
I much prefer renting renting a house (or half a duplex, which is what I do, since it's what I can afford!) over an apartment complex. Your area may wildly differ though; there aren't a lot of apartment complexes around here, and the ones that there are, are really a rip-off compared to what else you can get.

Location is key, of course. You don't want to be far away from everything you like, and you don't want to be stuck on some ungodly traffic route that takes you extra long to get home.

I would also try to get an estimate of what your heating costs will be. Some places (especially complexes) will include this.

The kind of deals you can get depend on how the housing market is where your looking. I had to pay a full months rent fee to a broker to get my place. At the time, apartments were staying on the market for an average of four days. Today at work places charge 1/2 fee, and most no fee (well, the fee is charged to the landlord instead.) If you look without a real estate agent, this doesn't apply. If housing is tight though, it's hard to find autonomous places on your own.

A good landlord and neighbors are very nice things to have.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks