Apartment Home Theater - oh so many questions!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Karim_M, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Karim_M

Karim_M Extra

Hey Guys!

I'm new to the boards and am looking to create a home theatre of my own. Looking through the galleries, some of you guys have some great systems! I'm not looking to build anything fabulous but something decent for my new apartment. I love home theatre and home entertainment, we have a decent one at my parent's house but I want something I can enjoy movies on, watch TV with and listen to music on.

I was able to get a Harman Kardon AVR130 as a receiver and I have a new progressive scan DVD player at home that my parents didn't need. Now comes the great part of getting speakers and a TV to watch it all on.

Now I have a few questions to start off with.

1) Do you know where I can see some pictures of apartment home theatres just for ideas and stuff, because space isn't in total abundance.

2) A friend of mine has a set of Mirage Omni 260s, the Omni CC and 2 Omni FX rear speakers. They've been used for a couple months, and I'm just wondering what the value is for that if I were to buy it from him (please specify currency)

THanks!!

Karim

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    You can check on eBay, and see what they sell for there. It's a good reference point. Tells the average prices the public is paying for these.
    I'd also go to some HT stores and listen to some other brands. For an apartment, I'd probably stick to good bookshelf speakers. Ask about the return policy of the stores. That way, you can get them, take them home and listen. If you don't like the way they sound in your home, take them back. Should sound different in your home, and hopefully, for the better. The acoustics are different in your home, than in the store. The acoustics play a MAJOR part in the overall sound.
    Good luck!

3. John S

John S Producer

Those speakers would be an excellent choice.

Sounds like your there... Living room display and surround setups can be challenging for sure.

4. Karim_M

Karim_M Extra

Any estimate on the value?

KM

5. John S

John S Producer

MSRP on the 260's was like $1000

So half of that is an ok deal, 1/2 of that again would be a great deal.. So lets say $300-ish for a 260 alone.

The others.. Hmm not near so much....

I'm not real up on the line at all. But I have heard them. Those 260's in particular are way way nice for sure.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Karim, since you're asking for advice about assembling a complete system, your thread has been moved here to A/V Sources. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level. Thanks.

7. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

I've gone from from a nice 20 x 12 room at my parents house. To a 8 x 8 room in a rented house, to my apartment now.

I have a few pics that I could email you.

You can see my setup below. Apartment theater isn't terrible, but is very limited.

Ebay is a decent place to get used gear at a reasonable price. Most of us here will tell you it's better to buy some good once than to buy something bad multiple times. So do yourself a favor and get decent speakers and a nice receiver to start off with. It might take you a little longer to build everything, but it will cost you less money in the long run, and you will more satisfied with them. Try ebay and search for paradigm...great speaker, good price.