Apartment/bedroom treatment

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Colin-H, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

I'm going into one of the worst audio environments imaginable. A large, spacious room with hard walls, a hard ceiling, and a hardwood floor. I plan to get a large area rug to cover as much of the floor as possible, but I'm not sure how to deal with it otherwise. What are some cheap ways to treat the walls and ceiling to deaden the room a bit?

I'm looking to spend around $200, so acoustic paneling is basically out of the question here. Is there anything I can do with my furniture, like put bookshelves in the corners, that would help? What I'm going to have includes a bed, dresser, 2 bookshelves, a beat up old couch, a few cheap chairs, a computer desk, a big old multipurpose table, and the HT furniture. College student style in its truest.

2. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    You can do what I do and just leave a lot of dirty laundry lying around.

3. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

Yeah, that's a given, though!

4. MitchellC

MitchellC Extra

I saw this in a Home Theater magazine earlier this year: You can make your own acoustic panels by wrapping pieces of wood with carpet or similar material. Maybe a real thick blanket would work.

5. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

You can paint your wall with a good latex paint and mix in some acoustic wall texture (that popcorny looking stuff on your walls). Put a whole load of it on there and it should absorb some of the brightness. This can help. Also any windows in the room, throw some thick curtains over them. If you can't go carpet, which you can't on your budget just cover as much of your floor with rugs with padding under them.

6. George Tong

George Tong Auditioning

I'll be closing on a home in a few days and wanted to replace the old carpeting and put in hardwood floors.

Is having hardwood floors in the living room that bad for a HT setup?
    If anyone can explain this to me that would be greatly appreciated.

7. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

Yeah George, it's bad.

In a room like that there are more reflections, sound is banging off of every surface making it sound overly bright and harsh.

Worst case scenerio, imagine you're in a room that is made of steel, any sound will reflect, get chopped up sound harsh, unpure, hollow and dulled.

The ideal place to have a HT is in a room with carpeted floors, carpeted walls, or walls with acoustic panneling, and an acoustic drop cieling (like tiles). Naturally for a non dedicated home theater that is also your living room this is unfeasable. Best thing to do is have a room with carpeted floors, insulated walls and cielings, and acoutically textured sheetrock, windows with thick curtains (this also for blocking out light) and furniture (sofas, chairs) can help absorb some of the brightness. Basically anything soft or fabric can absorb brightness. In a totally sound proof enviroment there are no "slap echos". The sound sounds more pure, warmer, and more natural.

If you do insist on going with hardwood floors, have lots of padded rugs in the HT area, and consider rolling some acoustical texture on the walls and cieling and paint them again with a good thick coat of latex paint.

8. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

OK, I have some more details on my room. It's approx. 11'10" by 13'10". There is a closet that butts out into part of the room and what I believe was a walk in closet converted into a studio style kitchen. The ceiling is dropped about 8", but the tiles feel really cheap and flimsy.
    Here's a roughly-to-scale drawing (blue=door, red=window):
    [​IMG]
    I have a few ideas about speaker placement, but I can't quite pin down the best one. I'm not dealing with a screen here, just a 27" TV.