AOR of PENNIES FROM HEAVEN...?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dick, Sep 9, 2001.

1. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    There seem to be some very knowledgable persons on HTF with regard to AOR of various movies. Please only reply if you are sure of your information. I recently purchased the laser of PENNIES FROM HEAVEN, which is presented full frame. This was released before all of those required "This film has been modified..." disclaimers, so I do not know if 1.33 is the intended AOR of the movie. It was released to laser in about 1983, by which time most lasers were AOR, so I don't know. SHOOT THE MOON, also from MGM, came out at the same time and was also a 1.33:1 laser, which I think is wrong. In any case, it's not a great transfer (very soft), but I'm afraid all I can expect until Warner eases up on their catalog policy. Can someone help?

2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

That should be OAR (Original Aspect Ratio), not AOR (Aspect Original Ratio). [​IMG] FYI
    As for your question... I'm really not sure. Just thought I'd clear something up since the topic header might have confused people as to what you were trying to ask.
    Dan
    ------------------
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

3. Bryant Frazer

Bryant Frazer Stunt Coordinator

It's a rare case indeed when the OAR of any theatrically released motion picture is 1.33:1, although you may not be losing picture in a "full-frame" transfer. Basically anything shown in mainstream movie theaters in the U.S. is projected at 1.85:1 or 2.40:1, and the filmmakers compose their shots accordingly.
    Try eyeballing the picture -- imagine what some of the shots would look like with the top and bottom matted to 1.85:1 or thereabouts. If the compositions hold up or improve, it's probably an open-matte transfer. I haven't looked at this disc in a while, but I'll bet the top and bottom have been opened up with the sides zoomed in slightly.
    -bf-
    ------------------
    Bryant Frazer
    Deep Focus
    www.deep-focus.com

4. Jeff Wilson

Jeff Wilson Stunt Coordinator

When I taped it off of TCM a couple years back, it appeared to be about 1.85:1, so unless they completely screwed up, I'd go with that...

5. Bryant Frazer

Bryant Frazer Stunt Coordinator

TCM showed this letterboxed? I guess that means there's a new master that hasn't made its way to DVD yet.
    -bf-
    ------------------
    Bryant Frazer
    Deep Focus
    www.deep-focus.com

6. Jeff Wilson

Jeff Wilson Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, it was letterboxed but had minor cuts, due to the bit of R-rated material in the film. Hopefully it will make it to DVD sometime soon, preferably with the participation of Steve Martin. I've always felt this was one of his best performances.

7. ChristopherM

ChristopherM Stunt Coordinator

... unless of course Dick is refering to the original BBC production of "Pennies From Heaven", starring Bob Hoskins.
    I've no idea whether or not this was ever released on Laserdisc, but if it had been then the OAR would have been 1.33:1.