What's new

AOL's Mystro (another divx) (1 Viewer)

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Thats AOL for ya. Look at how many ad's they force in your face on there internet service yet they still charge ya 25 bux a month.....I can't believe anyone is dumb enough to use there Internet service.

Tom S

Agent
Far from it. Divx was marketing disaster directed at the wrong consumer with the wrong technology at the wrong time. PPV and VOD have different markets and business philosophy. Plus, I think Mystro TV doesn't "insert" adds, I think it just doesn't allow the viewer to skip them at a push of a button. AOL/TW has to answer to the program providers and advertisers, thus no skipping.

I'm not too comfortable with this paragraph
An AudioRevolution.com study in the fall of 2002 showed that of over 16,500 participants, only two percent had TiVo or another variety of PVR (personal video recorder). However, those who did have TiVo loved it and couldn’t imagine living without it. Cable systems have recently been delivering cable boxes with PVRs built in that are a small part of a customer’s monthly bill, which allows the providers control over your equipment. The problem is that the service, in the form that AOL’s Mystro TV is reportedly planning to launch, is restrictive in terms skipping commercials and intrusive in terms of adding commercials.
Divx tried to over take the open DVD platform in its infancy, and probably would have if not for the early adapter backlash. AOL is large enough to dominate the PVR platform. Microsoft has given up trying to overtake them as the #1 Internet browser.
You need to read the last sentence of the above quote if you think Mystro TV doesn't "insert" adds. This is right up the content providers alley, just like divx was to the movie studios. It worries me because I have 3 Direct-TiVos and would hate to see Mystro TV muscle a good thing for the consumer into a good thing for AOL and content providers.

Link to article... Mystro TV

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks