AOL Thinking About Selling Warner Music

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil A, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
  2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Phil, I saw this link this morning. Imagine if Sony Music buys Warner Music. I wouldn't hold my breath for more DVD-Audio titles. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Keith, the Warner Music group was not exactly rolling in dough to start with. They recently consolidated expenses and shut some stuff down: http://media.aoltimewarner.com/media...e_num=55252919

I doubt the regulators would allow more consolidation for someone like Sony to acquire it. Perhaps a media company, maybe even Microsoft - who knows. Many people like to argue about the sound quality but neglect the fact that Warner and EMI are hurting and depending on where they head may decide whether DVD-A survives in its present form. Obviously, if Warner music goes to a pro-DVD-A company, the status quo will be maintained. If not then it may be a different story.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Phil, I wholeheartedly agree with you. I could see Microsoft buying Warner Music. It should be interesting. I hope whichever company buys Warner Music, should it be put up for sale in the first place, shows some interest in high-resolution audio.

5. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Keith - definitely agree. Given its current ownership, it is more likely to show additional interest in Hi-Res with another party, regardless of what that format is. It is not a good thing when an analyst even half-heartedly refers to the current situation as a next potential Enron:

http://aolpf5.marketwatch.com/news/s...id=aolpf&guid={AF6F9627-28D1-41BF-8109-6AB60DF79105}

6. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I guess the link did not work but here is what was said:

By Thom Calandra, CBS.MarketWatch.com
    Last Update: 10:42 AM ET Jan. 31, 2003

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS.MW) -- A pioneering market technician says a fresh bout of intense stock market selling is on its way.

"....Investors -- and fat-cat executives -- eyeing their "disgust meters," need look no farther than entertainment company AOL Time Warner (AOL: news, chart). If I owned the shares -- and I don't -- I would by now be wondering if this 1990s wunderkind is the next WorldCom, or Enron, or Tyco."