AOL Instant Message Scam?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott L, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

So I tried to log onto IM today but AOL says I have a suspended my account because I'm underage?!?! I've been logging on for more than 2 yrs now and all of the sudden they think I'm under 13. So they want me to give them my credit card number and expiration date to "verify I'm over 18." [​IMG] Yeah right!
    I go to the webpage just to check it out and there is no security marker for 128-bit or anything else. The URL looks legit too. I'm not stupid and know AOL will take my CC info and do something with it for survey and marketing purposes even though they say otherwise on their site. But this is just dumb. What if this happened to my sister, who is 15 and can't have a CC?
    I'd like to get on IM again but won't give them anymore information than I already have. [​IMG] Any suggestions?

2. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

Call AOL on the phone, they have said on the news that they never ask for credit card or password info on the web, this is most likly a scam

3. Rich Romero

Rich Romero Supporting Actor

My AIM went down for no reason at all today. It's still not workking. [​IMG]

4. Darren Mortensen

Darren Mortensen Stunt Coordinator

It is a SCAM! DO NOT RESPOND WITH ANY CREDIT CARD INFORMATION!

5. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

YES ,as stated above....SCAM....... AOL tells you all over the place about asking for credit card info..NEVER.I have AOl,my wife uses it mostly still,and we always recieve emails etc about (insert reason) AOL needs credit card #'s or will lose access.Prblem is,some of these scam sites/emails look very professonal and appear at a glance to be legit AOL stuff[​IMG]

6. MickeS

MickeS Producer

AOL never asks for anything like CC#, account# or other information, unless you are the one contacting them.

Same with Hotmail, I've gotten e-mails saying they need my account#. They will never ask for this stuff either, so if someone does it's a scam.

/Mike

7. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

If your screenname still doesn't work... just make a new one [​IMG] It's Free and you can make as many as you want.

8. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

This scam is called "phishing". I hate to admit it, but I used to do it for a period of time in my younger years. Ignore the message or report it to AOL. The sender usually sends out mass IMs so they are not necessarily waiting for YOU, they are just waiting for somebody.

9. Scott L

Scott L Producer

The thing is, I can't even log onto IM so I can't receive any. This has to be some weird virus right? Time to reinstall..

10. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Scott, have you called AOL? They will most likely help you out.

11. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

My regular AOL IM handle 'vanished' also. I guess because it was considered 'volatile' or something. (It was TheAngryJew.)

I'd used that name every day for years, and then one day...poof, it was gone.

Guess they did some house cleaning.