What's new

Anywone solve HK AVR-?20 shut down poblem? (1 Viewer)

RobP

Stunt Coordinator
This F'n thing keeps shutingdown on me. It will Randomly shut down in any input mode at least twice a week. When my AVR520 was new it only happened a couple times a month but now that I've "broken it in" it seems to be happening a couple times a week. Its diving me mad. I know alot of people were having the same problem as me. Has anyone fixed there problem or takin it in for warraty work with any success?

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
If this is not an overheating issue...
There may be something wrong with the current source. Try powering the receiver from a different outlet. You may find that the juice feed in your home on your original line has too strong a draw from other appliances, etc.
I believe one of the original posters on this chose to run a dedicated line. Do a search on this forum on the 520 or 320 and shut-off or go here:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ight=Shut+down
and here:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=62335

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
Paul: I was one of the people having problems with the 320, and i can tell you it happens with any source, cooling fan, on an APC BackUPS, completely random. mine is at OneCall under repair, but they haven't looked at it yet. will update.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
What do you guys have the receiver plugged in to? I know some surge protector/power conditioners have specific outlets for high current stuff (current on demand).

Anyways, I have the AVR120 and it DOES get hot without good ventilation techniques...but it hasn't failed on me yet.

-ELmO

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
elMalloc: per my previous post in this thread, i had it plugged into a line-conditioning battery backup (a $50 surge suppressor before that) and always had a 7" fan running air over the top of the receiver when it was on. when playing music, the top of the receiver was barely warm to the touch.

i suppose the only thing i didn't try was plugging the receiver directly into the wall, but what difference could that make since it was able to continue playing music for 30 seconds while on the battery alone!

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
UPDATE:

OneCall gave me a call and their service people left my 320 on for 48 hours and it did not shut down. They decided this was enough testing and are shipping it back this week. I will do testing once again, and if it shuts off I will try to send it directly to Harman/Kardon for service.

This has got to be the most frustrating receiver problem in the world, because it can take up to five days (but sometimes only four hours) for the problem to surface (shut down), and service centers won't babysit a receiver for that long!!! In other words, I can't use it and I can't get it fixed. I just wasted $600. (please help me before i go insane)

Marc H

Second Unit
Double check that there isn't any shorts in the speaker wires if you haven't done so already.

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
Marc H: none that I have found yet (i use banana plugs on the receiver end) but i haven't checked inside the speakers themselves. Wouldn't a small short cause a shutoff more frequently while playing instead of sitting idle?

StevenK

Second Unit
Whoa! Just had the auto shutdown happen to me last night. Bummer...hope it doesn't develop into a bigger problem.

RobP

Stunt Coordinator
hope it doesn't develop into a bigger problem.
Dont worry it will! I have my tv plugged into the switched outlet on the hk and I had a video game console plugged into the other. It mostly seemed to shut off when I was using the video game so I recently unplugged it and plugged it directly into the wall. I left the tv in the switched outlet. It hasn't shut off since although I'm expecting it to any minute now. It has been about 3-4 days though so we'll see! Ill get back to you when I see what happens. HK sent me an email telling me to take it in for warranty service. If it shuts down one more time thats what I'll do.

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
RobP: have you been using it during the 3-4 day period? what about switching sources? i seem to remember my 320 stayed on for five days, then i switched sources back and forth and it turned off eight hours later.

RobP

Stunt Coordinator
have you been using it during the 3-4 day period? what about switching sources? i seem to remember my 320 stayed on for five days, then i switched sources back and forth and it turned off eight hours later.
Yea I've been using it constantly. Switching between dvd, video games and tv. I dont remember exactly which day I switched the video game console to the wall outlet but it has been around 5 days now with no shu down. Although I have turned it off a couple times in that period but it has been on at one point for 2 days straight. I am hoping that the console was drawing power from the HK or some thing like that and causing it to shut down but I'll bet it will still shut off sooner or later. Peter, Were you using both plugs on the back of the HK?

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
i was only using one plug for a while for the CD player, before i was doing any serious testing. it was the first thing i changed!

my 320 should be here thursday and i will start with the basics: plugged in, turned on, only a CD player connected with L+R speakers connected only. see how long that lasts. oh, and plugged directly into the wall instead of a UPS.

RobP

Stunt Coordinator
AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! :angry:
Well so much for that theory. It shut off last night while watching TV. I'm about ready to throw this damn thing down the street! I think I will take it in for warranty first. I'll tell you if I could take this back, I would go with something else

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
heh, if you throw it really hard, i might be able to catch it! seriously, though, maybe we should consider a temporary swap and see if we experience turn-offs?

according to FedEx tracking, my 320 should arrive today!

RobP

Stunt Coordinator
Yea its funny cause my first HK520 shut off on me and I ended up returning it for a new one for that reason and cause the remote quit working. And now this one is shutting off too!!! So I either have really bad luck or something is up with this climate! I wrote HK and they sent me a list of service centers in the area.

ELECTRA-SOUND INC.

34517 VINE STREET

EAST LAKE OH, 44095

Phone: (440) 951-3000

WARNER ELECTRONICS INC.

8200 SWEET VALLEY DR, STE 106

CLEVELAND OH, 44125

Phone: (216) 901-9691

I called them and they said bring it it any time with the a copy of the reciept and they will "take care of it." If yours is still screwed up maybe we should try and bombard the same store w/ the same reciever w/ the same problem and then maybe they will get the hint or something I don't know.

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
RobP: thank you for getting those addresses! mine has been on a truck out of bedford heights for seven hours now, and i can't tell whether it is going to work or home 'cause it just says "mayfield heights". blarg!

RobP

Stunt Coordinator
I'll be damn I also live in Mayfield Heights. Man you really could catch my reciever if I threw it down the street. Are you related to Paul Anderson by chance.

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
the receiver has been on since 6:00 pm yesterday, with two speakers and a CD player connected, power directly from wall. (me crosses all fingers and prays).

the service people at OneCall wrote a little note to me stating that they left it on for TWO WEEKS and it never shut off. of course they probably didn't have any sources or speakers on it, but if that mattered, my problem is with my other equipment, right?

I know _a_ Paul Anderson (not a relative- i am from KY), my girlfriend's brother-in-law who lives in Parma, works at Fairview hospital. There are probably a lot of Paul Andersons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks