What's new

Anyway to upconvert a 720p signal to 1080i? (1 Viewer)

Jason Blaydes

Stunt Coordinator
my 55" HDTV ready toshiba (55h70) can only receive a HD 1080i signal. is there anyway to upconvert a 720p signal to 1080i? i know that some televisions have internals that do this automatically... but mine doesn't. is there a seperate piece of theater equiptment that can be bought to do this upconversion?... maybe some type of decoder that upconverts?... or am i just SOL?
i'm wanting to upconvert because my Xbox has tons of games being released in 720p format but none as of yet have been released in 1080i format. i'd like to take advantage of my HD cababilities if at all possible. thanks very much for any help, suggestions, and info.
ps - i also posted this question in the "Video Game Sotware" forum, but was directed here to gets specifics on the hardware that i would need. here's the link to my question in that forum: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...34#post1124034

Jason Blaydes

Stunt Coordinator
here's a link to my television at the toshiba website... it has my specs ans such: Link Removed
i currently don't own any games in 720p format... but i have a demo disk that has a game on it that is suppossed to be in the 720p format. i set my xbox up for 720p and then put the demo in... but no HD picture on my toshiba. i not 100% sure that the demo is in the 720p format though.
is there somewhere i can read that will tell me defenitely weather my television does the upconversion? also i noticed it has:
- Improved IDSC™ (Intelligent Digital Scan Conversion)
- New Vector Progressive Scanning (480p)
is the IDSC up upconverstion from 720p to 1080i?
and, does my television except a 480p signal too?
none of this is mentioned in my manual... so i didn't realize i had these features until just now when i looked for my model on the toshiba website. thanks for any more help and your time, peace.

John Royster

Screenwriter
Jason,

I'm not sure about your TV but other HDTVs have a specific input for high definition like 720p. Is you x-box attached to an input that will accept HD?

Jason Blaydes

Stunt Coordinator
yes the xbox is setup through my HD inputs... which is my component video inputs. i have two sets of component video inputs on this televsion and my dvd player is hooked into one and now my xbox is connected to the other.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I could be wrong (as Dennis Miller used to say) but I thought that the Toshibas didn't accept a 720p signal.

You might look at an iScan converter.

Jan

Manuel

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if a Mits 65819 will upconvert a 720p signal to 1080?

Thanks

Jason Blaydes

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the info guys.

but:
- does my toshiba except a 480p signal?
- what is this IDSC (Intelligent Digital Scan Conversion)
- and where is a good place to purchase an iScan converter for a good price?

thanks very much for anymore help on these questions.

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
hi,
the new tosh's hdx series i think do 720p, but seriously many people feel its like splitting hairs. ABC network in hd broadcasts in 720p which is converted to 1080i on my tosh 65h80. if your tv is converting 720p to 1080i for the XBOX you have it made inthe shade and will be very happy with the result.

peter m.

errol

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Jason,

What stb are you using to feed your set?

My DTC upconverts 720p to 1080i.

r,
Errol

Mike I

Supporting Actor
For sets that only accept 1080i hd, it is not the set that does the conversion from 720p to 1080i, it is done by the HD set top box...

DerekF

Stunt Coordinator
Jason, why not check this list for a 720p game you like, and rent it? I wouldn't put much faith in a demo disc for something like this, and this way you'll know for sure!
Derek

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
An Iscan is a de-interlacer, it will not help you, at all. And a STB has nothing to do with this question either.

AFAIK, there is nothing reasonably priced to do this.

David Forbes

Supporting Actor
My Panasonic DirecTV hi-def STB can output 1080i or 720p with the push of a button on the front panel. In other words, the STB does indeed convert all incoming signals to the desired output.

Vin

Supporting Actor
I think some of you guys might be a little tired ;).....as Bill pointed out, Jason is trying to display a 720p image from his XBox, not from a STB. His Xbox doesn't convert the signal the way a STB does and his HDTV doesn't accept 720p.
Vin

John Royster

Screenwriter
Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought some STBs actually had a component input and would scale a 720p input like the xbox to 1080i.

I'm not talking about 720 broadcasts but an actual input from some external device like xbox.

Or I'm just smoking crack and there is no such STB.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
John:

If a STB can do that, them I'd call is a scaler, not a STB, which generally means a HD tuner.

I don't know of any STB that can take a 720p input and output it to 1080i I don't even know of any with a simple passive pass-through, for that matter.

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
John,
Bill is correct. No scaler that I know of would do anything to a 720p signal. A scaler is for scaling of interlaced input signals. High definition signals go through the HD passthrough...untouched.
BTW, 1080i is NOT an upconversion from 720p. 720p is certainly a superior signal for fast motion (like football games) and if interlaced, would be 1440i, which last time I checked was a significantly higher resolution than 1080i. ;)
Either the set can receive the signal or it can't. There is no device made that I know of that does what the original poster wishes, at least certainly not at a price point that 99% of the people on this forum could find affordable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks