What's new

Anyway to upconvert a 720p signal to 1080i? (1 Viewer)

Jason Blaydes

Stunt Coordinator
my 55" HDTV ready toshiba (55h70) can only receive a HD 1080i signal. is there anyway to upconvert a 720p signal to 1080i? i know that some televisions have internals that do this automatically... but mine doesn't. is there a seperate piece of theater equiptment that can be bought to do this upconversion?... maybe some type of decoder that upconverts?... or am i just SOL?
i'm so pissed because so many games are being released in HD format, but not 1080i. if i had just waited another 6 months i could have afforded alittle nicer of a television. oh well, i guess i now have another excuse to upgrade my tv :D

Jay W

Supporting Actor
I have the same problem with my Pioneer Elite, though there is no way I'm ditching it and getting a TV with 720p. I mean how many actually support the format to begin with? I heard there are converters than can do this for you, I've been on the lookout for an affordable solution so I can enjoy some of the 720p X-box titles (I heard Halo2 will be 720p too).

Jason Blaydes

Stunt Coordinator
yeah i know... not many tv's except a 720p signal natively. anyways, do you happen to know any brands, model numbers, and any specific info on a device that will convert the 720p signal to a 1080i signal? if so let me know, and thanks for you help.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
The new Sony RPTVs convert 720p to 1080i (last year's models converted to 480p).

-Dave

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Don't the various HD set top boxes do this conversion? I'm pretty confident most do but I don't know if they have additional inputs for more than one HDTV source.

JoseEduardo

Second Unit
JVC HDTV model AV-48WP30 and 56WP30 convert all signals to 1080i. The televison set is affordable too, I've seen it at 1,500 on the web, 1,800 at best buy

Jason Blaydes

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the comments so far... but i'm looking for a seperate piece of equiptment that will convert the 720p signal to a 1080i signal. i'm not in anyway looking for a new television right now... my wife would kill me!
anyone know of a piece of equiptment that will do this?
Camp, do you happen to know of any specific brand thay would be the best value? thanks again :)

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure about my Hitachi 51SWX.
It also can convert all inputs to 1080i but I'm not sure if it is true 720p - 1080i or a downconverted 480p - 1080i.

With Tony Hawk 4, It reads it as 720p, I'm just not sure it is upconverting properly.

Either way, the game looks gorgeous.

Doug

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Jehan, according to my manual, the Pioneer Elite (x10 series) DOES convert 720p to 1080i. I haven't had the chance to check it yet myself, though.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Camp, do you happen to know of any specific brand thay would be the best value?
Jason,

Try posting your question over at the "Display Devices" forum. They'll be able to give you specific model numbers and prices.

I recently learned that most (if not all) fixed pixel displays (LCD, Plasma, DLP, etc.) have internal scalers that convert everything to 720p (their native resolution). However, few RPTV's and CRT TVs have internal scalers to convert 720p to a format they can display (usually 1080i). These displays require the use of an external HDTV decoder. Virtually every HDTV manufacturer has one on the market...I just don't know which has the input selection to suit your needs.

Massimo N

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't tried a 720p game yet on my XBOX, but I was under the impression that the XBOX would Convert a 720p game to 1080i. Is this not happening?

Jason Blaydes

Stunt Coordinator
nope, the xbox won't convert the game... it's the television that does it. i'm learning more about my toshiba through this website... and my tv might actually do the conversion. i haven't palyed a 720p game yet either... but until yesterday i was under the impression that my tv wouldn't convert to 1080i, so i was worried i wouldn't get to take advantage of HD games. anyways, i'll post my findings when i get everything confirmed.

GaryP

Second Unit
Jason,
EDIT: Just saw you have an xxH70, which I am completely unfamiliar with. Last years models (of which I have a 50H81) will not do the upconversion. I tried out NBA 2K3 in 720p mode and got nothing but a black screen. As soon as I went back to the dashboard to turn off 720p, the in-game screen fired right back up. Also, I can't speak for the Cinema Series, but I would bet the xxHX81 do not do the upconversion either.

Gary

C

Chris*Liberti

There was one Panasonic a couple of years ago that did native 720p most of the new TV's coming out atleast upconvert the signal to 1080i although not all do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks