Anyway to fix a crack in your windshield and keep it from spreading?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff lam, Nov 13, 2002.

1. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    On my trip to Southern CA this past weekend a big truck shot a rock and hit my windshield and a crack started to show up. The next day it got a little bigger. It's about 6" now. What can I do to stop it from getting bigger? Or do I have to get a new windshield? How much would it cost either way? I have a 2000 Toyota Corrola.

2. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

I believe that 6" is the limit for repairing a crack. One place around here quoted me for $60.00 to repair it. Might want to give some places a call before it gets any larger.

Jeff

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

if you can't get it filled at a shop you should be able to drill the end of it to stop it from running, just drill a small hole through the outer layer of glass into the core (plasitc isn't it?) sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
    I've seen them try it on the wingtips of airplanes (plastic) and it works, but sometimes you just end up with 20 holes [​IMG]
    I think the idea is the round smooth edge distributes the stress, instead of focusing it all at a point and running the crack further.

4. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

You could remove the windshield. [​IMG]
    It might get a little windy though... [​IMG]
    Sorry - I don't know what possessed me to be a smartass...
    In all seriousness, you're most probably going to need to replace the windshield. As you drive, the pressure of the wind of the glass will intensify, and only make the crack grow in size. Eventually it'll get into your line of sight, and might actually become a safety risk.
    Moe.

5. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

you may be able to stop it from spreading with a drop of super glue at the end of the crack.

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Yeah, drilling a hole at the end of the crack should alleviate some of the stress caused by the opposing forces that will build up at the point of a crach.
    P = F/A
    where P = Pressure
    F = force
    A = area
    So if you increase the area (from a point to a larger circle) it should reduce the pressure, thereby reducing the stress and stopping the propagation. The super glue method would just try to strengthen the glass, resisting the natural opposing forces on the glass, but does nothing to alleviate the stress (perhaps a tall glass of beer would help there [​IMG] )
    Jay

7. Robert McDonald

Robert McDonald Stunt Coordinator

Call your insurance company and ask if it's covered. I had a crack in my rear window and when it was being repaired the repairman said too bad it wasn't the front windshield as insurance pays for those....(of course your state law will determine if insurance has to cover it)

8. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

It might be able to be replaced just call a glass shop and make sure that if you do get it repaired that they guarantee the work or it might be all for nothing. If it cant be repaired make sure to get it replaced right away since the glass is an integral part of the safety structure of the vehicle and will cause a safety issue.

KyleS

9. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Windshield replacement should be covered under the comprehensive portion of your insurance, not the collision portion. If you have a low deductible on comprehensive, it may not cost you much to have the glass replaced.

I found out an interesting item regarding windshield replacement and insurance companies this summer. Most glass shops offer to pay the first $50 of your deductible. What they are not telling you, though, is that the insurance company is giving them a $100 promotional allowance for this purpose. We carry a zero dollar deductible on comprehensive, and I had a stone crack my windshield while we were driving across Wyoming this summer. I made an appointment with a glass shop in Mizzoula, Montana to have the windshield replaced (we were going through there on our way to Glacier National Park). They ended up giving me a check for $100, since they said their policy was not to keep any of the money the insurance company gave them for this fee -- they made enough off the actual windshield replacement and they felt their customers needed the money more than they did.

Since we have a zero deductible, most glass companies would just pocket the entire $100 and I would still have been happy to get the windshield replaced with no out of pocket cost. In fact, I've had two windshields replaced by glass companies in Michigan that have kept the $100 promotional fee.

10. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

missoula is a strange town, all the winter time pollution messes with their heads methinks.

11. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

It's not too expensive - I'd just replace it rather than try to repair it.

12. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

Robert and Scott have the right idea.
    Try your auto insurance company first.
    Heck, that's what you pay them for right?
    In Central Pennsylvania we have a very well-know business around called Cindy Rowe Glass Repair.
    http://www.cindyrowe.com/default.cfm...Name=Insurance
    The website even describes how most repairs can be covered completely by your insurance even sometime waiving the detectable.
    Good Luck.
    Brian

13. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I have State Farm and they paid for the replacement of my windshield when it was cracked. Heck, they even waived the deductible. The company they deal with even came to my house and swapped the thing out while the car was sitting in my driveway. Couldn't have been more simple.