Anyway to bypass/disable x-over on PE 250w amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt D K, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Matt D K

Matt D K Stunt Coordinator

I am using the PE 250w amp for my subwoofer project and need to know if ther is a way to disable the crossover. My receiver has very good bass management (down to 40hz) and would like to disable the x-over in the sub amp.

Thanks in advance
    Matt

2. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

Why not just turn it up all the way(160hz)? If you are running your amp at 40hz there will be no interaction between the two and it is essentially disabled. Unless you are going to run your amp at around 160 them you would run into problems.

3. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

I had the same problem with the Adire AVA250 when I got it last year. Unfortunatly, the amp does not have a bypass switch on it (at the time). The only way to bypass it would be to turn it ALL the way up.
    Good luck. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Jonathan M

Jonathan M Second Unit

Yes, there will be a way to bypass the xover, but it may take a while to figure it out.

Are you any good at tracing circuits? If so, I'd start at the xover frequency control pot and map out the circuit around it. It's likely to be some sort of Sallen Key filter with an opamp in there doing the buffering.

If you can map it out, or obtain the schematic, then I'm sure it's doable. You may want to email tech support at PE for a schematic or advice on how to do it.

It probably just involves swapping out some resistors + caps.

5. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

You may want to look through some of the old threads on modifying the PE/MCM/Adire amp, specifically http://207.173.159.182/htforum/showt...late+amp+boost
    And the schematics found at http://www.apexjr.com/Apexsenior.htm
    The third one is the schematic of the preamp board, which is what you're interested in. Bypassing the low-pass filter should not be difficult, but certainly turning the knob all the way will accomplish almost the same thing with much less work....
    Cheers,
    -- Dave