What's new

Anyway to adjust OVERSCAN? (1 Viewer)

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
I took my old Goldstar 19" apart last night to see if I can adjust the overscan on it. I saw these 2 resistor dials on the board figuring they might be the ones. I didn't get a chance to see if it made any difference on the screen because my screw driver slipped and blew a fuse. I know it's a dangerous place to be working. But I really HATE excessive OVERSCAN and would like to adjust it to 1%. The TV I wanna do this to is our main TV in the living room, which is a POS Magnavox 1989 25 inch TV. This TV REALLY sucks. I know. And I wanna decrease my overscan on it because some text at the bottom and the top are cut off.
OVERSCAN!!!:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
On almost every consumer RP or direct view CRT set, setting the overscan that low will cause serious geomterty problems, at the edges. Still, you should be able to improve it, somewhat. And don't kill yourself in there, yikes!

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
Everything I have ever read on overscan indicates that SOME overscan is desirable, and that the calibrators always shoot for exactly 5% overscan as the best compromise between "perfection" with a perfect signal, and making certain everything appears on the set without some "dead space" at the outer edges.

The problem, from what I have learned, is that there are so many signals that are broadcast, or cable-cast, or satellite-cast just slightly "off." So, if you set it at a perfect 0%, or even a 1%, you would see the actual adges of what is being received, and you would see this often enough that it might bother you, and often enough that you might risk burn in from static images (if it is a RPTV, especially). Finally, I have heard arguments that setting it any lower than 5% often results in major geometry problems (as mentioned ina a reply above). I have never heard an argument for going less than 5%. I have heard consistent arguments that 5% is the best to shoot for.

Just reporting what I have read,

-Bruce

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
OUR Tv is WAY more than 5% overscan. I can see more on other TVs than I can see on this piece of shit.

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
Anybody care to donate $2000 to me so I can go buy myself a decent 45-55 inch widescreen HDTV? LOL:D :D :D Oh, I'll need another $200 for a Progressive scan DVD player as well.

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
What's a good TV to get with the least Overscan. I want it widescreen, flatscreen, and very little overscan. What you recommend?

James Zos

Supporting Actor
Why would you be so concerned about overscan with a newer TV? You should be able to adjust overscan anyway you like inside the service menu if you don't like the default settings. My Panasonic is five years old and that's what I'm doing.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
You could get a fixed pixel display (whether direct view, RP or FP) like a Plama, DLP or LCD set and should be able to have 0% overscan.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I have my Mitsubishi set for as little overscan as possible (I get frame lines on the top and/or bottom on some material), and don't notice any bad geometry problems- maybe I should be thankful I'm not picky since I am about most things!
My older TV didn't have a service menu, and the Circuit City "servicepeople" (using that term very loosely!) said the only way to adjust it would be to change ICs on one of the boards inside. I made sure my next TV had service adjustments so I could fix everything myself.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I got a Toshiba 42H81 and the service menu makes it very easy to adjust overscan, picture position, horizontal and vertical size, geometry, etc. I notched the overscan down to a minimum and did, indeed, have problems with some material that led me to adjust it up a bit more.

My 35" Mitsubishi direct view drove me nuts because the picture was off-center and I couldn't find any way to center it up. Maybe there was one, but I never learned it.

If you like to fiddle with this kind of thing, I know the Tosh will let you do it. Maybe that's standard with RPTVs, I don't know.

Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks