What's new

anything wrong with picking the Sony SCD-CE775?? (1 Viewer)

Sebastien David

Second Unit
Hi,

I need a CD player that will read CD-Rs, as my DVD player doesn't most of the time. I would also like a good CD player that will incorporate good DACs to run it via analog cables to my Denon AVR-3801's inputs (currently using my Toshiba DVD player as a transport).

After the recent price drop in Canada on the Sony SCD-CE775, I'm considering this unit. I've browsed past threads rapidly, but I'd just like to make sure wether there's anything wrong with this unit.

It has bass management, which obviously is key, and I'm thinking the fact that it's an SACD player will mean 1) the added capability of playing SACDs (nice to have, not my priority) and 2) it must have good DACs, right?

Or am I totally wrong in assuming this? Are the DACs for CD playback and SACD playback different? Would I be better off saving a bit of money and going with a regular CD player? Or is this the great buy it seems like it is?

Thanks,

-Seb

system:

Denon AVR-3801
Energy C-7s mains
Energy C-3 center (until the CC-3 comes out)
Energy C-3 surrounds (3)
Paradigm PW-2200 sub

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Sébastien, the 'CE775 is a great player for the money. It will show weaknesses expected for a $200 USD player when compared to more expensive players, but it still is a solid value. SACDs sound excellent. It is amazing how good SACDs sound when you consider how inexpensive the player is. I would say the weakness is CD playback, but you can't expect all-world performance in a $200 USD player. For me, the build quality is lacking, but again, we are talking about a budget player.

Could you not use the digital output on the 'CE775 for CDs? Of course, you have to use analog outputs for SACDs.

Michael_T

Second Unit
It has bass management
Bass management will only work with SACD playback, as far as my memory serves. I have an CE775 and an XA777ES, and bass management is virtually the same, but I also keep the setting on MCH and 2CH Direct, basically bypassing all bass management.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It has also been discontinued, so you might want to try to find it quick. I've seen it going as low as $180, but there are very few models in stock at most places I've talked to.

The fact that it has been discontinued also means that a replacement is on the way...

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John said:

The fact that it has been discontinued also means that a replacement is on the way...
One would think so, but Sony has not announced anything yet. I am surprised by how quiet Sony has been in this regard. Usually, they announce something by now.

Sebastien David

Second Unit
the point is for me to buy a CD player with DACs that are better than the ones in my Denon receiver. otherwise I can just use any ol' DVD player as a transport...

as I said the SACD functionality isn't what's most important for me. but do you think I could do better for the money with another CD player?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Sébastien, first of all, not all transports sound the same. So, depending on the quality of your system, you should not assume that "any old DVD player" will work fine as a transport. The only way to be sure is to compare players as transport. If the system is revealing enough, you will be able to hear a difference between transport.

As for using the analog outputs on a CD player, you have a good receiver that has good DACs. I'm not sure you are going to find a player in your price range ($200) that is going to sound better via the analog outputs than via the digital output to your receiver. Models to try, however, are the Sony CDP-CA70ES ($200-300), Denon DCM-370 ($250-300), and Marantz CC3000 ($200) and CC4000 ($250).

Robert McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
My question is can you tell a significant difference in the sound for SACD playback between the CE775 and say the 222ES or 555ES? Similarly with DVD-Audio, are there significantdifferences in sound quality between a $200 player vs. a $500 player (although with DVD-Audio some of the increased cost may be spent in the video portion)?

Chip E

Screenwriter
I was able too hear a difference in sound quality from the 222ES to the 555ES. Be it perceived, or real, the 555ES sounded better. I bought the 555. I'd be surprised if the Denon's DAC's were inferior to the 775's.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Robert, I've listened to all three SACD/CD changers and have found the 'C222ES to best the 'CE775 and the 'C555ES to best the 'C222ES. The 'C555ES is clearly the best of the three changers with CDs and SACDs.

Robert McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Chip and Keith; I just had to justify my spending the $630 and am anxiously awaiting delivery from Oade (I ordered today, Thursday, and should get it tomorrow, as they are only 30 miles from me (but since they are in Georgia the sales tax would have been more than the shipping charge).
OK, the $630 hurt, although I am sure it is worth every penny, but now I have to get some interconnects. I know this isn't the cable area, but what do some of you use? 8 separate interconnects? (2 for stereo, running analog rather than digital out, 6 for SACD)? For decent cables it appears that will run a minimum of $160 for base interconnects :eek:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Robert, no problem. Congratulations on the purchase. Definitely give us a report when you have had the chance to run the 'C555ES through its paces. What CD player do have now for comparison?

Regarding cables, I should mention that I have two 'C555ES changers in two rooms. I bought the first one for my main room, where I have my home-theater and main stereo systems (two discrete systems). The 'C555ES is split between the two systems. So, I run the 5.1-channel outputs to the home-theater system and the stereo analog outputs to the stereo system. The home-theater system is basically mid-fi, so I am just using Monster Interlink 400mkII interconnects. As I recall, a 1-meter pair is $50. They work fine in that system. My main stereo system is far more revealing, and I use Audioquest Diamondback interconnects for the stereo connection.

The second 'C555ES is in my second stereo system, which is not as revealing as the main one. In the second system, I am using Monster Interlink 400mkII interconnects. The Monster cables certainly aren't the best out there, but for my less revealing systems, they work fine. I might upgrade cables in the second stereo system anyway.

Robert McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
Keith, I had a 12 year old Technics CDP that bit the dust...so it was a good time to upgrade (I can't stand to listen to my CDs on my DVD player, for reasons you and others know).

I might give BetterCables or Rhinocables a call and see if they can make some cables for 5.1; I saw some from IOXS but they didn't appear to be their higher quality

I should get the 555ES today; giddy as a little boy on Christmas morning!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Robert, it sounds like you are in for a real treat moving from the old Technics and DVD players to the 'C555ES. Definitely give us a report when you have gotten "acquainted" with it.

I use the older BetterCables Premium speaker cables in my two stereo systems and am very pleased with them for the money. Brad is great to do business with. I am not familiar with Rhino Cables. Where did you learn about them?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Robert, thanks for the info. Yet another cable company to bookmark. :) I saw the cable thread on the tweaking board, and as I recall, posted something there. There are an infinite number of cable companies out there. I think cables are the hardest thing to tackle in this hobby/addiction/obsession. First, there are so many options, even at just one price point. Then, demoing cables can be tiresome -- connecting and disconnecting back and forth endlessly. Also, while differences can often be observed (on the right system), they can be subtle. It's something I have not delved into in my systems.

Sebastien David

Second Unit
thanks for the info and comparison between the DACs in my 3801 and the ones in cheap CD players like the 775.

after reading this, and after realizing that the bass management of the unit only applies to SACD and not CD (which would force me to use the unit's optical out for CD playback, meaning most all of the time), I'm convinced this player isn't for me.

I'll concentrate on saving up for a good DVD player with prog scan that will be solidly built and serve me well as a transport for CD playback. plus, it will most likely have MP3 playback, which could be a plus in parties!

thanks again, I love this place!

-Seb

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Sébastien, I have never seen a CD player that applies bass management. Bass management came along for home-theater applications, and for good reason, and its use has been extended to surround-sound music in recent years. The audio purist wouldn't think of applying bass management in their music. I'm not saying that you shouldn't. All I am saying is that bass management is not a traditional feature in stereo playback equipment, and one should not necessarily expect audio components to have bass management circuitry. It is only in recent years that adding a subwoofer to a stereo system became a common proposition. Traditionally, stereo meant two speakers and that's it.

With the 'CE775 or any CD player with a digital output, you could run a digital cable for CD playback and apply bass management through your receiver, if so desired.

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
I have the CE775, and am using it with a Sony DB930 receiver. For regular analog CD's, I have it hooked up with both a digital cable (using the receives DAC's), and analog cables (using the players DAC's). I listened to some of my favorite music CD's that I know very well. The receivers DAC's sound very much better than the players, and this is using Sony! The players DAC's just didnt have the "robustness" or clarity of the receivers DAC's.

The Denon is a pretty good receiver, and probably has better DAC's than the 775. Try hooking it up both ways and doing some comparisons.

Matt

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Matt, your receiver doesn't have analog bypass, which means when using the analog inputs from the 'CE775, the analog signals are routed through the receiver's A/D and D/A converters. This can lead to degradation of the signals. So, you are not really evaluating the player's DAC and analog output stage as such. However, although your receiver's DAC is involved in the process, I would not necessarily expect the sound via the analog inputs to be the same as the sound using the digital input. The digital input scenario is a more direct process.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks