What's new

Anything wrong with 5.1 setup with front and rears from different speaker companies? (1 Viewer)

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
Is it ok to have your surround speakers from a different manufacturer than the front channels?

I was thinking of having either Atoms or Titans as Mains with a matching Paradigm Center channel, probably CC-170 and maybe having the JBL Northridge E10s as surrounds.

Would this be a bad idea? I have heard the E10's make decent surrounds, and aesthetically they would fit very well into the room since they are relatively flat.

Wouldn't it be ok as long as the front channels timbre match and the surrounds match each other?

Let me know your opinions either way.

Thanks,

Yung

Brian Elwood

Stunt Coordinator
It's way way more important to have all the fronts match then the fronts and surrounds.

Not a bad idea at all!

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
i disagree, i think all 5 should match. its not a HUGE deal, but its pretty important if you can do it. you lose a lot of transitional effects this way. when something goes from front to back, you lose the blending.

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
If you're playing a movie with THX overlay then doesn't the Timbre matching feature in THX resolve the tonal differences, if any, between speakers?

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
hum, im not sure about that... i never trust THX with sound quality, just sound quantity.

i think the only way to fix tonal imbalances would be with a mic and a sophisticated DSP box. its like how two different pianos sound different. its not like one has more bass or treble than the other, they each just have a character to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks