Anything Worth Upgrading in My System?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Braun, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Jeff Braun

Jeff Braun Auditioning

Hi guys, I had a question about upgrading, and whether or not it's worth it for me. Right now, I have Klipsch RF-3 mains, an RF-3 center, RS-3 surrounds, and an SVS 20-39PC sub. I'm using a Denon AVR-3801 as an amp and a preamp. Clearly, these are not the world's best components, and upgrading some of them might be worth it, in most circumstances. However, my audio source is all mp3 audio from my computer, for which I have a sound card that outputs the signal optically to the receiver. Now, given that I'm not using the best sound source, will upgrading my speakers/amp/preamp make a difference in audio quality for me? I don't think I'm willing to give up the convenience and low price of the audio format. Given that, would it be worth upgrading my system components, or is my audio source going to be such a bottleneck that I won't appreciate the benefits?

2. JonBouche

JonBouche Agent

Jeff,

Your components all seem fairly good initially. If you are just using this all to play the MP3's, then I wouldn't do anything else to it, as it will only be so good. It all comes down to bang for the buck. If you have the money to spend, you can always find something better. The question is whether it's worth the $ to do it?

3. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I don't know what soundcard you have but that may be worth upgrading. The rest of your gear seems pretty much up to the task.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

What do you do for AC?
    You should at least have a good surge protector. [​IMG]
    Any AC filtering, regeneration, balanced power are steps up from that...

5. Jeff Braun

Jeff Braun Auditioning

any other opinions?