Anything special about component video cables...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian_J, Aug 11, 2001.

1. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

or are they just three sets of 75 ohm rca cables?
    Brian
    ------------------
    Zed's Dead Baby...

2. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

3. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

Well I guess I dont need to go paying extra overhead and profit to a company to put three cables together and call them component!
    Brian
    ------------------
    Zed's Dead Baby...

4. dougW

dougW Stunt Coordinator

Brian, far be it for me to disuade your concensus that a component cable is a component cable. But this is not bass we are talking about transmitting. What we are talking about is maximizing video quality. There are differences in video coax, as well as the way they are put together, connectors used, solder etc...
    So, you could look at a standard coax, or if you want to hopefully increase your image quality, look into a silver coated or solid silver coax, and a higher quality product all around. There can be a difference in the image displayed. Even Monster tells you this in their multiple video qualities, Audioquest, and several other companies that offer a scale of quality.
    The objective is not just displaying an image, but displaying it in all it's original splendor possible.
    Lex
    ------------------
    Lexman's Theater

5. Mike Kao

Mike Kao Second Unit

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

quality component video cables do not need to cost an arm and a leg. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...=4513&CATID=55
    as an example sells a visually attractive set that would be functionally indistiguishable from products costing much more. if you think monster or other companies offer a superior product then i suggest they provide some proof other than advertising jargon to substantiate their differences in prices.
    most 'testimonials' to cables i think may be the result of excess caffeine coursing through 'creative' minds.

7. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Seems to me that one has to actually try out a few sets of component video cable before jumping to shallow conclusions about performance, or resorting to hackneyed expressions like "it's the marketing jargon"...... i.e the tactic used to sell to the unsuspecting.
    Case in point ----
    I first used the $70. dollar mid-line Monster component set ( 1 meter in my case ). Adequate, if nothing else.
    Next blew $200. on the top-of-the-line Monster Silver M-Series component set. Still not impressed. All that marketing hype for naught, Monster.
    Finally found the Better Cables Ultra set. End of quest. Much better black level detail, with vivid colors not even approached by the Monster Silver Series. And the 1 meter set was $100. So, yes, top dollar does not always guarantee a top performer.
    Yeah, I will move up to the BC Silver Series in short order (a $120. investment). But you really have to try out a few stinkers first before you can say you have pretty much maximixed your video quality potential.
    Anything special about component cables ? Yep, you have to look at the image they deliver throughout the entire movie.
    Shop wisely,
    BOK

8. Henry W

Henry W Stunt Coordinator

Component cables carry a wider bandwidth than composite or standard video cables. Even a Radio Shack component cable is better than the alternative.
    Best regards-Henry
    ------------------

9. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

if one component cable performed that much better then it would be trivial for a 'manufacturer' to provide some subtantiating data...you certainly don't need to buy a boutique cable to achieve that. nor should the burden of proof ever be on the purchaser. shallow conclusions about performance is exactly what the cable companies are putting out.