What's new

Anything I need to know about selling my unneeded directv recievers? (1 Viewer)

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I upgraded two of my receivers and can get a few pennies for the old receivers/remotes on ebay. The receivers are registered to me by serial number with directv. Any reason I can't sell them? Can I include the access cards? I thought any new activation required new access cards anyway, but for some reason people want the old ones. I don't think they can be hacked anymore, but don't want to sell anything that could be misused. I called directv and was told that once my one year commitment was up, I "owned" the boxes (thought I already did) and could sell them, but the CSR didn't sound too sure of himself. Thanks for any help.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I was told I could sell mine but that the new owner would have to have new access cards sent to them from DirecTV before they could activate them. I was not told I would have to remove the current access cards, but probably would want to for fear of somebody finding a way to get service using my old cards and having it billed to me--maybe I'm paranoid but that's my hangup.

Carl Gaff

Second Unit
You can sell the old receivers for whatever you can get for them. You should try listing them here on the Forum under "Hardware For Sale". As for the access cards: If you want to include them in the deal go ahead without the fear someone would be able to reactivate them using your account. As for using them for hacking that's a different story. There's a big market in these cards for exactly that reason. If someone will only buy the receiver if you include the card, pass them by. Anyone who purchases your old receivers and intends to legitimately use them will need to contact Direct TV to reactivate them and purchase a new card. Been through this a couple of times. Hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks