Anything I can improve? (What did I do wrong?)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jesse Steiner, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Jesse Steiner

Jesse Steiner Auditioning

Hey guys. Novice here. lol. My dad recently purchased a bunch of equipment while I was at school that other day(that was a surprise, let me tell you!), and hired me (without pay) to hook it all up. I've never really worked with much HT stuff in the past, but i've been learning a ton within the past couple weeks so i could do this right (like lurking around here and reading a ton). So i guess i'll start by letting you know what he bought:
    Sony KP-53HS20 or HS30, i don't know. 53" Projection TV (Does anybody know the difference between the two?)
    Sony DVP-NS315 DVD Player
    Technics SA-DX950 AV Receiver (actually we've had that a while with no surround sound happening)
    Now that i lok at it, he didn't buy much. lol. But I have a few questions.
    1) Is the TV decent? It's staying for sure, but is there anything else in the price range the you woud have recommended?
    My dad went out and bought all this without doing much research, and without knowing really anything. But he's not really a videophile, and he stands by his bose like they're the end-all to speakers, so that should tell you about his sound preferences.
    Now, i went online and bought some audio cables and some component video cables from KnuKonceptz.com (i love that site, i got there for all my car stereo stuff. Good quality audio cables, i know, and great prices. I assumed their component video was good.) and went to www.avcables.com for coax audio cable and s-video cable. I ran coax from the DVD to the receiver, and all my other components into the TV for audio, and also sent audio out from the TV to the receiver via RCA's. I used component video to hook up the DVD player, and s-video for my digital cable box. No video goes through the receiver.
    question 2) Was there a better way to do this? Or did i not give a good enough explanation for you to get a picture of what's going on back there?
    3) What kind of audoi signal runs from my TV to my receiver? Is it only going to be L/R channel info? And i have to use the coax input for surround sound?
    4) I'm not sure if anybody can help me here, since the cable copany couldn't, but when i run an analog cable signal into the TV, the picture looks good (well, as good as it can), but when i run through the digital cable box, i get lines of interference that go across the screen and travel up and down very rapidly. All the power wires are routed away from signal wires, i tried different outputs on the cable box, we tried a new cable box, and tried different inputs on the TV. I can't figure it out. I subscribe to Adelphia digital cable in Buffalo, NY, for anybody that knows.
    Thats it for now, i'll be back with more questions when i think of them.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Jesse. Welcome to HTF! [​IMG]
    I'll try and answer some of these.
    1) The Sony rear projection TV's (called RPTV) tend to be quite good. When it comes out of the box, most TV's have the brightness and contrast turned WAY up. This is so the TV will stand out on the showroom floor if it was un-boxed to be a demo unit. Turning down some of the settings is recommended. Using the Avia setup DVD is another recomended step.
    2) Sounds like you did a great job getting good cables for your $$$. You also did all the recommended types of video cabling. I'd have done it the same way for video.
    But for the audio, I'd have taken the L/R outputs from the DVD and Cable box into the receiver and NOT go through the TV for audio. Later, when you get a real DD receiver, you will just run a coaxial-digital connection from the DVD to the receiver.
    3) We normally DONT run audio to the receiver from the TV. The receiver tends to take the audio directly from the various sources and not pass it on. This way the TV speakers go silent in favor of the receiver/speaker combination.
    4) This is funny. I'd try this:
    - Make sure the CATV box is plugged into the same outlet as the TV.
    - Try going to Radio Shack and buying a coax DC Blocking adaptor part # 15-1259. Try it BEFORE the CATV box, and then between the CATV box and the TV.
    Good Luck and let us know what happens.

3. Hugo

Hugo Stunt Coordinator

Hi Jesse,
    I agree with Bob on all his suggestions. The only thing I could add for Question 4, is to look at the signal type output of your digital cable box (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i) and verify that your TV supports that kind of signal. Also check if your TV doesn't have "on" any video enhanced features (like noise reduction, SVM, natural color, etc), if it does, try turning them "off" and see what results you get. Hope that helps.

Hugo

4. Jesse Steiner

Jesse Steiner Auditioning

Thanks for all your help, guys.
    I ran the audio into the TV so that if my younger siblings wanted to watch TV, they could do so with minimal hassle. When i watch DVD's I just turn off the TV's speaker and use only the "good" sound.
    I adjusted the settings on the tv with the setup part of the Star Wars II disk (lol). It does seem less attention getting, but i definitely like it better now.
    The lines on the TV have gone away with some more help from the cable guys. But now I have fuzz. I get it whenever i use the digital cable box, no matter what outputs from the box i use (composite, s-video, or coax) and on every input on the TV. Everything else is good, but i get fuzz all over the screen, regardless of what is on there. Would the DC blocking adaptor still help me (possibly)? Everything is plugged into a monster surge protector, though i'm not running the coax through it. (tried it though, didn't affect anything. Cable guy said we didn't need it because it's already protected. I didn't hear it from him directly, though)
    Now this might be a topic for an entirely new string, but the only part that i really get consufes on is digital audio and surround sound. here's some more, probably simple for you, questions
    1) Analog, RCA-end style cables that have been used since before me, only carry a 2 channel signal, correct? And it's an analog signal all the time? [I don't mean what kind of signal could actually be put through the wire, but rather what signal is actually carried along it in HT]
    2) Coax audio cable can carry any digital audio signal, correct? What kinds are there?
    3) I know of a few types of audio: the regular analog 2 channel stuff, dolby digital, dolby surround, DTS... what else is there? What is decoded by the receiver, and what comes from the signal source? What are the differences between them?
    Once again, thanks for all your help guys. I feel the addiction rising in me...
    (and i apologize for the likely numerous typos and spelkling errors. I just came in from the garage, and i still haven't regained all the feeling in my fingertips. Buffalo is kind of cold)

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi jesse -
    i'll tackle your second round of questions. [​IMG]
    1. rca-style cables only carry *one* channel of information. that's why you have two (red & white) connectors per cable - one for left and one for right channel. it's not necessarily an analog signal though - you can run a digital coax cable which looks similar.
    2. coax digital cables carry the *audio* information from the dvd player.
    3. there are several "flavors" of audio. you got all the biggies, but may want to research dolby pro-logic II. i think the beginner's faq has info about the various audio formats.
    in most setups, the receiver does the decoding. if you run a digital connection from the dvd/cd player, then the receiver does the decoding. if you run analog connections, then the cd/dvd player does the decoding internally.