Anything good at Best Buy?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Brooks H, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Brooks H

Brooks H Auditioning

I am looking to purchase my first home theater and am hoping for some suggestions. I know separates are better than a HTIB, but my funds are limited at the time. I also know Best Buy is not looked upon highly around here, but I have $200 in gift cards to use up there. I'm willing to spend around $500 on speakers and a receiver. I'm using my PS2 for dvds right now and plan on upgrading that in the near future. I was thinking about the Onkyo 760, Yamaha YHT-440 or the JBL NSP speakers and maybe an HK 125 receiver? I would love to have 6.1 if possible, although I know it will be tough with a tight budget (maybe a good 5.1 will beat a cheaper 6.1?). Any suggestions on the best way to spend this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

The JBL NSP1 and a Yamaha receiver would be a good choice.
    If I were you I would get at least an HTR-5660 though.

3. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

In addition to HT receivers and speakers, BB sells the Pioneer 563 universal DVD/DVD-A/SACD player (normally around $179.) IMO, the biggest bang in affordable DVD players now out. If you end up with a receiver that has a 6 channel analog input (what you need for DVD-A and SACD), you can play some of the best sounding music available (IMO.)

4. Scott*B

Scott*B Stunt Coordinator

Go with the Onkyo at that price point. You won't be disappointed. Stop by HH Gregg and pick up a set of TechCraft stands for the front speakers. I hung the surrounds on the wall. My friends w/ more costly HT setups are routinely amazed at my budget system.

5. Mike Baldwin

Mike Baldwin Stunt Coordinator

I just picked up the 563 DVD player Last night. Its awsome. Here is a trick thou. They sell it for 179 + TAX. BB will do price matching so I went to circuit city.com and found the same unit with 10% off. I got my unit for that price. I saved like 20 bucks. I know its not alot, but thats a new DVD movie later on. Try it out. There is a link to the DVD player at CC if you go to the deals page and look under Fridays deals. Good luck.

Mike

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Best Buy's price on the JBL NSP1 speaker package used to be quite high versus online retailers. I purchased four N24's for just a little more than Best Buy's price for two of them a couple of years ago.

7. Scott L

Scott L Producer

JBL NSP1II speaker package for $230 shipped online. Then you have $270 to spend on a nice H/K. [​IMG] I upgraded my mains to n26's since I have a pretty big room. You can sell a pair of new n24's for a good price on ebay.

The center channel of the Northridge rocks, really well balanced and sounds sweet. Plus all these JBL's have the trademark characteristic of being able to play loud but still very clear.