What's new

"Anything Goes" from Paramount (1 Viewer)

JohnPM

Second Unit
DVD Planet announced this today. I'm assuming it's the 1956 Bing Crosby picture, which is good news. Perhaps Paramount will have further library announcements tomorrow (let's hope).

William Miller

Second Unit
Anything Goes will be released on September 27th.

On that same day, Paramount will release Casanova's Big Night (Bob Hope) and We're No Angels (Humphrey Bogart).

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Too bad Paramount can't license the 1934 version of "Anything Goes" which also starred Bing Crosby and Ethel Merman from the original Broadway cast. It was a Paramount Picture but is now owned by Universal. On TV is was retitled "Tops is the Limit" I believe to avoid confusion with the 1956 version.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
There are tons of Crosby movies that Universal owns that arenot on video in any form. Many of these I have never even seen.
God forbid Universal get off of its rump and give us these or the many Deanna Durbin films or the deMille films they own or more Douglas Sirk, or the elusive Flower Drum Song.
I am a fan of many of the performers in Anything goes, but frankly, the film is terrible.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
The Artwork for WE'RE NO ANGELS is posted on DVD PLANET. Also announced THE WARRIORS:ULTIMATE EDITION and STAR TREK:NEMESIS - SE for October 4th.

Charles H

Screenwriter
It would great if Paramount brought out LITTLE BOY LOST (1952) with Crosby in an impressive performance as a war correspondent trying to find his son in post-WWII France. They also control Crosby's MR. MUSIC (1950).

I would love it if Paramount brought out Bob Hope's most ambitious role--as NYC's scandal-ridden Mayor Jimmy Walker--in BEAU JAMES (1956).

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Charles, I think it will be just a matter of time until Paramount releases Little Boy Lost and Mr. Music, since the company started going further into its classic titles.
And If I'm not wrong the Anything goes (1955) was never available on home video, so this is a great thing to have it out on dvd.

The Elephant Walk, Rainmaker, Another Time Another Place, Branded, Casanova's Big Night, Red Garters, Miracle of Morgan's Creek, We're no Angels(very happy about this one) and now Anything Goes. I'm sure spending a lot of money buying all of those.

Let's wait for others releases. I'm waiting for Strange loves of Martha Ivers and hoping for:
Ace in the Hole
Here come the girls
The Files on Thelma Jordan
September Affair
Houndini
Let's dance
Forever Female
the Vagaboung King
No Man of Her Own
The Furies
Lucy Gallant
Detective Story
Pony Express
Somebody Loves Me
Something to live for
The Stars are singing
Beau James
Those Redheads from Seattle...

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
Received my copy of Anything Goes today. It is of course 16:9 enhanced and has a 5.1 soundtrack.

I am hopeful that Paramount will release most if not all of their vintage titles. In particular this view is enforced because Paramount does not control a significant portion of their titles (most sound titles up to the latter half of the 1940s), so they are not in the enviable position of say Warners or Fox about whether to release that title from 1942 or that one from 1952! They only have the option to release the latter one.

I know that there are a handful of Paramount titles prior to 1948 still owned by Paramount (Miracle of Morgan's Creek for one). I am surprised that the original Anything Goes is not owned by them. At the time (approx) that the sale of Paramount's early library took place, I would have thought that Paramount would have started/finished work on the colour remake and would have retained the rights via the original? Anyone know for sure?

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I agree completely with Rafael on most of his suggestions, but I have singled out both PONY EXPRESS and BEAU JAMES as titles that are near the top of my priority list.

The Martin and Lewis films are also high on my list, with Living It Up a must have.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks