Anything comparable to Panny RP91?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by STLMIKE, Jul 21, 2003.

1. STLMIKE

STLMIKE Stunt Coordinator

Looking for progressive scan with image size scaling, but this unit has been around a while. Saw it on Crutchfield for $399 -- anyone seen any better pricing?

Have JVC now that does this, but have a feeling it's a piece of crap that is now too old to take back (layer changes freeze).

Any major problems w/the RP91 reliability-wise?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

3. Gary Shipley

Gary Shipley Second Unit

I've had my 91 about 5 months and so far its been great. I have the gold one and it looks fine with my other components which are black. I got it online for around $290

4. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
  5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

OneCall is a very reliable online vendor. I've owned my RP-91 for about two years and have not experienced any problems with the player.

6. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I've had my RP91 for nearly 4 months and love it. The scaling is great and a must if your TV locks in full mode on progressive sources (like my previous Panny 47" and my current RCA D52W20). It's very reliable. Only thing that i'm disappointed in is i was hoping for layer changes to be more seamless from a player that originally retailed for $700, but I can deal with it. I did get the gold version from onecall and they did a great job shipping it quickly, even though it wasn't double boxed. Shipping was free, so i wasn't really expecting it. I'm yet to try DVD-A with it since i haven't found any DVD-A software that i felt was worth purchasing and i do 99% HT anyway. I have read that the 91's DVD-A support is pretty bare bones though.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

7. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

Stephen,

I find it very odd that OneCall did not double box your RP-91 shipment. I have ordered many items from them, and they have always double boxed the equipment.

8. STLMIKE

STLMIKE Stunt Coordinator

I ordered the gold one from Onecall, so I'll see how it does. When I ordered my HK receiver, it came double boxed -- maybe it depends on the weight.

Thanks.

9. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

10. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    FYI, I give my [​IMG] to SurfRemoteControl.com as well although OneCall.com is also about as reputable as they come. I bought my black RP91 from SRC a couple months ago -- must've been one of the very last black units available anywhere -- along w/ a HTM MX500 remote and AR component cables. Mike (as in MikeSRC) is very nice to deal w/.

Anyway, the RP91 is a very nice player indeed, but I finally decided to save some $$$ and go solo w/ the Philips 963sa instead -- silver and all(!) [​IMG]. As some of you may recall, I was considering running a 2-player setup for the best of all worlds. But I've decided it's just overkill and could better use the $$$ toward something else like a new digicam. [​IMG] So I just put the barely used RP91 on the for sale section late last night and already found a buyer this morning(!) -- maybe I shoulda asked for more since a black unit seems hard to find, [​IMG] especially one in "like new" condition.

_Man_

11. Skyler

Skyler Stunt Coordinator

www.newegg.com has them for $279 delivered fedex. They have refurbs for $199 shipped. Love mine!

12. Michael_V

Michael_V Second Unit

I have had my RP91 since it first hit the street . . . about two years now I would guess. Great video performance BUT it failed about a year ago and required repairs that cost $150 (no warranty coverage after 90 days) and it just recently died again. Refuses to even power up. Maybe I got a lemon. YMMV.

13. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

14. Michael_V

Michael_V Second Unit

Ron, I think you just keep reading my posts!

FWIW, I originally bought mine at ecost.com for what seemed a great price at the time. Now I am under the impression that their stuff is refurbished, so that may explain the issues I had with my RP91. Not sure this is a universal problem.

By the way, I have this in another thread, as well, but (as the title of this thread asks) *is* anything comparable to the RP91? I need to replace mine in the very near future!

15. AnthonyJS

AnthonyJS Agent

RP-91 in black for $294 shipped! Excellent place to deal with - got my XP30 from them a while back.

Black RP91 at Abt