What's new

Anything better than Dragonheart for a 360 degree audio pan? (1 Viewer)

Greg_C_T

Second Unit
I second the gas oven in Chicken Run. I just saw this last night and was fairly impressed.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Video Essentials "walk around the room with voice" which occurs after your speakers have been calibrated using the pink noise test tone setup.

mark_d

Second Unit
The Fifth Element teaser. Saw this twice at the cinema and it's an easter egg on the UK R2 release. Easily the best "quickie" demo for 5.1 that I've witnessed.

Mark

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Monster's Inc. the scene when Boo laughs at Mike's house, that's all over the room pans including the rear center channel as well.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
The first Blade - in the Club Blood fight sequence - the knife going around the round room.

It's short but very well done.

Jon_Liu

Stunt Coordinator
Along the same lines of Monster's Inc.

When Randall starts attacking Sulley and he pans around the sound stage with his laughter. Something about Steve Buschemi's laugh that makes this character so maniacal

Definitely had me looking around the room when I first experienced it at home. Don't remember this happening too vididly in the theaters.

Guy Martin

Second Unit
A little-known one is in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil at the end when
Jim Williams (Kevin Spacey) dies. The echoing sounds of him and Billy Hanson (Jude Law) bounce around all five speakers as the camera whips around the room.

It's one of the more interesting uses of 5.1 in a drama.

Also the opening of Apocalypse Now (either version) with the helicopters whirling around is always a delight on my system.
- Guy

Rich Stone

Stunt Coordinator
Good suggestions by all. Also check out 12 Monkeys. There are a couple of scenes where a voice is used effectively throughout all five channels. On a good system the voice will be fairly seemless as it goes "around the room".

Rich

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
One that I like is also in Episode I - The Phantom Menace. The lightsaber duel on Tatooine when Darth Maul is wearing his hooded cloak and is only using one side of his saber. There is one shot close behind Qui-Gon when Maul swings his saber around and over Qui-Gon's head. Should go all the way around (esp. with the EX mix).

JKS

Paul Boyle

Stunt Coordinator
Slightly "out there" but still impresses the hell out of everyone is the last part of Karn Evil 9 (Impression 3 ?) from DVD-A of Brain Salad Surgery by ELP ...
A tape effect noise starts slowly from one speaker & moves slowly round the other speakers and gradually speeds up until the noise is flying round the room at very high speed - it's hard to describe in words but trust me it sounds fantastic - Paul ;)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
The climactic scene from Jumanji always is fun to sample for its swirling-around-the-room audio--especially the elephant's trumpeting.

Jim J

Second Unit
Another from Toy Story 2
Right after Al first places Woody in the glass case. the 'camera' pans (right) from facing Al to facing Woody as Al goes across the room (behind us) and out the door. It's good because it is a voice, which we are most sensitive to, and a voice we all are familiar with (Newman), goes from center to left to surr left to back center. Nice for checking the timbre match of speakers. Shouldn't sound 'the same' of course, but we are familiar with what voices sound like coming from behind us.

Love that Monsters, Inc too. plenty of good stuff there.

Rob Dawn

Stunt Coordinator
Jenna, Can you list all (or most of) the trailers that are on that disc from Widescreen Review?
Anything else stand out like The Lost World one?
Anyone know how much the shipping is?

Thanks,
Rob

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
T2, in the opening title sequence [scenes from the freeway & whatnot], a 'beautiful' ringing sound going around the room.
Desperado, the cancerstick pack being smacked, as applause dies down from the band playing in the bar.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Im surprised no one said this one.

In We Were Soldiers there is a scene that stands out. About half way through the movie, you see Mel Gibson walk out of there little camp in the tree area. (forgot what it was called) The camera follows him while he walks through the area, scoping the place out. In the same sequence, the camera starts to encircle Mel as he continuously searches the area. Machine guns, mortars firing and landed, helicopters, screaming, etc. are panning around the soundfield while this happens. It sounds very cool and this track was made in DD-EX.

Hopefully someone else can come in and write this better than I have. :b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks