What's new

Anything better than Dragonheart for a 360 degree audio pan? (1 Viewer)

Jack Lee

Grip
What's your favorite audio reference DVD for a circling audio pan? A scene where you can here something circle all the way around you.

A common favorite is Draco swirling around the knight in Dragonheart.

Mickey mouse walking about the concert stage in Fanatasia 2000 is another.

There are plenty of DVD's with overhead flybys and lt-rt/rt-lt rear pans (SPR, Fightclub, Twister, TPM...).

I'm looking for new test DVD's to test the seamlessness of my 6.1 system.

Dan Ramer

Agent
Jack,

Dragonheart is good, but the sounds of Draco's voice and wings are not continuous.

There is a radio communication from Earth in Buena Vista's Mission to Mars in which the voice very slowly revolves around the theater as the camera sweeps across the faces of the listening astronauts. This may be the best continuous 6.1 pan I've heard.

Dan

Eric C D

Second Unit
Second vote for the briefing scene in Mission to Mars. I thought of is before even opening the thread.

Eric

Michael Silla

Second Unit
What about the opening explosion in Swordfish?. That has to be one of the BEST surround "pans" I have heard.

Michael.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
The tommy gun scene on bridge in THE SHADOW.

This needs an OAR release, as I will not BUY it as is.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
It's not on DVD, but I have to mention the COOLEST use of the rear channels I ever heard. There was a teaser for JP: The Lost World that only played at DTS-equipped theaters. It featured almost no movie footage, as I recall. Instead, it included artificial lightning flashes linked to the DTS along with the sound of a T-rex as it stomped around the rear of the theater. AMAZING stuff - probably the most effective trailer I've ever seen (heard). I'm still pissed it didn't make the DVD - should've been on the DTS one at least!

Luis M

Second Unit
Colin,
I have the trailer. It is available in the "Ultimate widescreen review movie guide dvd" that was offer at the widescreen review magazine site, they may still be offering this dvd for sale. It cost me around $5.00. It has a lot of trailers, all in DTS.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
The Frighteners - In the jail cell, the ghosts are chasing "death" around the inside of the room's walls. Great use of Dolby Digital 5.1 surround.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Star Wars Episode I-
The last lightsaber battle is great for circle pans. After darth maul does his butterfly kick and opens the door by throwing the droid, he twirls his saber and you hear it go around you a few times.
Also after his blade is cut in two, when he spins from off screen towards Obi Wan, the sound starts from the rear right then circles to the front. not a complete circle, but still cool.

If you want to make your own circle pan effect...buy an XBOX and HALO. The 5.1 in this game is unbelieveable! Just go up to any talking soldier or gun emplacement that is humming, then simply spin in place. The sound will then pan around you.
This game is a reference tool in my house for showing off 5.1

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I'm kinda surprised this one hasn't been mentioned yet, since it's an older release: the running of the Ascot Gavotte in My Fair Lady. As the horses round the track it makes an almost seamless transfer from surround right across the front soundstage back to surround left.

Bernhard

Stunt Coordinator
Fellowship of the Rings: At Moria, when the cave-troll swings its chains at Legolas.. great 360° panning!
Also in Fight Club, when near the end the Narrator tries to defuse the bomb in the van and the camera flies into the bomb, panning around - there you hear the bomb "beep" alternating from all directions...great stuff
Another one from Fight Club: When Tyler and the Narrator first enter Lou's Taverne, we follow them in a great steadycam-shot. Once inside, the camera pans around and the music follows the camera movement and goes through nearly all speakers (as does its echo, starting in the rears) - that used to be one of my favorite "360° soundfield-demos" :)
Another case of really great sound design that is often forgotten in these polls is the opening sequence (and all of the POV shots) in Strange Days - 5 minutes of pure 360° sound fun!

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
I have to mention the COOLEST use of the rear channels I ever heard. There was a teaser for JP: The Lost World that only played at DTS-equipped theaters.
I *finally* had the opportunity to listen to this DTS trailer. Thanks to this thread (and Luis M), I ordered The Ultimate DTS Widescreen Movie Review DVD from WidescreenReview.com. I *LOVE* it...finally, trailers WORTHY of playing when you invite your friends over!
Note to WIDESCREEN REVIEW...it's time to issue an updated DVD. Put me on your order list!
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Jefe Noche

Stunt Coordinator
There's a way cool "swirling" music scene in Requiem for a Dream. It's well worth checking out. (the "elevator scene")

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks