Anything better for ~$300

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Rick Westfall, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Rick Westfall

Rick Westfall Stunt Coordinator

I think I'm going to get the HTD Level 3 subwoofer for about $300. Any opinions on whether or not I can find a better sub for the same money? My only concern is the frequency response low end at 30Hz

Thanks
    Rick

2. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

Personally I have not heard favorably things about this subwoofer (numerous poor reviews for a $300 subwoofer). I would get the $125 sub (free shipping through dec 31st) from partsexpress before the HTD sub for similar performance. I bought this sub for kicks and giggles and have been quite impressed with it. This is based on reviews from people that have owned one. Can you DIY? A 12" Shiva driver and 250 plate amp should run under $250. That would leave you around $50 for mdf and the rest of the building materials.

3. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

4. Rick Westfall

Jason,

I've never attempted a DIY project. That doesn't mean I wouldn't want to try...just never had the time or energy to dive into it.

Looks like it's time for some research.
    Rick

5. John S

John S Producer

You can truly build a mean sub, for not much money.

Shoot I even recently converted 2 rediculously large Floor standing Radio Shack speakers with 15" Woofs to sub duty for a friend, and it kicks some serious butt.

From the experience, I can also suggest using an Audio Source Amp/1A bridged for sub duty. They can be had refurbished way cheap.

6. Rick Westfall

Heck...as far are that goes, I already have a PSB subsonic 6i with a bad amp. I could just buy a new one from those listed above and retrofit it into the existing enclosure....

John...where can you get the audio source amp from?

Rick

7. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Right now you can get a Adire Tempest for $125 shipped from www.acoustic-visions.com and a 250w plate amp(55-6281a) from www.mcmelectronics.com for $100 shipped. If you just follow one of the plans on Adire's site for a vented Tempest you'll have a sub that competes with commercial subs over $1k. The only drawback to the Tempest is it requires a large enclosure. If that's something you can't live with then the Shiva is only $110 shipped and it works in much smaller enclosures than the Tempest.

Also know that these are not normal prices so I would act fast. I know the free shipping goes away from MCM on Jan 5.

8. John S

John S Producer

9. John S

John S Producer