Anyone worried about JP3 DVD quality?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Oneil, Oct 4, 2001.

1. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

The press announcments say that this DVD will be "Packed with over 10 hours of material" as well as a DD 5.1 and a DTS 5.1 audio track. Apparently on one disc.
    Here is the list of extras from the press release:
    -The Making of Jurassic Park III — A look at the making of the film featuring the filmmakers, cast, and crew.
    -The New Dinosaurs of Jurassic Park III — An examination of the pre-historic creatures featured in the film and a visit to the Montana dinosaur dig site hosted by paleontologist Jack Horner.
    -Feature Commentary — Running audio-commentary by the team responsible for the film’s special effects.
    -A Guided Tour of the Stan Winston Studio — A montage of the steps involved in the building of the film’s creatures.
    -A Visit to ILM — Follow the evolution of the film’s CGI work, including the groundbreaking skin and muscle simulation. Witness the 20 different stages in a rare step-by-step look at the computer graphics created by ILM.
    -Dinosaur Turntable — A spectacular three-dimensional look at the 12 dinosaurs created for the film.
    -Storyboards, production drawings, games and much more!
    And again, both DD and DTS 5.1 soundtracks.
    My only concern is the quality of the video suffering from the inclusion of all these 'extras' as the original JP and LW DVDs did.
    It seems like they are touting this DVD as being more about the 'extras' than the actual film.
    [Edited last by Sean Oneil on October 05, 2001 at 01:40 AM]

2. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

3. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

4. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

5. DarrenA

DarrenA Second Unit

The original Juraddic Park DVD is riddled with excessive EE and the colors (particularly green) have a tendency to smear (bleed). It's not a horrible transfer, but it could have been much better. The Lost World DVD looked MUCH better.
    ------------------
    DarrenA
    The Academy Home Theater

6. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

Basically what Darren said. [​IMG]
    I found them not to be the worst transfers of all time, but they had some pretty major compression artifacts and mosquito noise -the kind of noise that usually stems from a higher compression/lower video bitrate encoding process.
    I had hoped that Universal would not have done JP3 in this way. Cramming so many extras on to a single disc is never healthy for the video quality of a feature film on DVD.

7. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

It is only ~93min so maybe that plays into allowing for more extras. Plus, they will probably compress the hell out of the extras.

8. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

Like Gordon said, this is a very short movie as compared to the first two movies.
    Plus, the documentaries on the first two movies are 50 minutes. I could be wrong, but it seems like the one on JP3 is one of those 25 minute promotional featurettes.
    I don't think compression will be a problem.
    Regards,
    Dan