Anyone work for the post office?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CapnSharpe, Jun 23, 2002.

1. CapnSharpe

CapnSharpe Stunt Coordinator

If so, I have a few questions for you.
    I mailed two letters, both certified return receipt, from a Mail Boxes Etc. over a month ago. The person acknowledging receiving the letter to a third party. I don't know whether the second reached it's destination. Neither of the green return receipts ever came back. Mail Boxes Etc. never scanned in the letters, so they aren't in the postal service's computer system.
    The post office offered, and finally agreed to send, some yellow cards to the people I sent the letters to. The postmasters claim that these people will sign the post cards acknowledging that they received the letters and the post cards will be mailed back to me.
    Questions:
    What happens if they don't sign? What is the post office going to do them? The people who received these letters have a long history of defending themselves in court and probably know I can't sue without the green return receipts. They will be highly motivated to not sign those yellow cards.
    What are the odds the post office could manage to lose two green return receipts?
    Are the yellow cards tracked? Will they be in the computer system like the green return receipts should have been, were it not for Mail Boxes Etc.?

2. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Theresa,

When a certified letter is delivered, PS Form 3849 is signed (and printed) by the customer and then filed at the Post Office.
    At the time of delivery the bar code on the envelope is scanned and then the bar code on the 3849 is scanned.
    Did you not get a copy of the 20 digit tracking number from Mail Boxes Etc?
    I can't explain why you got neither green card, but, the tracking number would be your alternate proof of a transaction.

Jim

3. CapnSharpe

I've got both tracking numbers. The post office is blaming Mail Boxes Etc. for not initially scanning the letters and entering it into the system. Neither number is in the post office computer system. I don't think I can do anything without those green receipts - the slips with the tracking numbers just mean I sent the letters, they don't mean the recipients got the letters. If it is supposed to be entered into the system after delivery, could that mean the receipients never signed the receipts and might still have the cards?

Thanks for your help Jim!

4. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Theresa, one of two things should have happened.
    A) The recipient accepted the letter and signed the attached green card (return receipt ticket) which was returned back to you automatically via USPS. (The only way this will not happen is if you did not fill in your return address on the reverse side of the receipt card.)
    B) The recipient refused to sign to accept the letter, thus prompting USPS to return the entire letter along with attached green card back to you. (Once again, this will only happen if your letter or receipt card has your return address on it.)

5. CapnSharpe

I did fill out both return receipts completely, including my address.
    However, I just got an extremely disturbing voice mail. It seems the paperwork I sent to the BBB, also mailed from the same Mail Boxes Etc. as the two certified letters, has vanished. I'm going to call Mail Boxes Etc. and the local postal inspector to discuss the concept of mail theft. [​IMG]

6. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    Sounds to me like you should bypass Mail Boxes Etc. altogether. In this case, they're just one more vendor you now have to deal with. Yeah, the Post Ofiice lines are long, but at least you can see what they do with your stuff.