Anyone with HDTV failures yet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Varacin, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Michael Varacin

Michael Varacin Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone had any major problems with their HDTV sets? I own a first generation Mits 73" WS-73903. I turned it on the other day and no more picture. Nada. Zilch. No on screen menu's either, but there is sound.

So, I guess it's service time. But Mits only has one authorized repair place in the area, and they don't sound very intelligent on the phone. We shall see. They are claiming they will need to "take it in". I want them to fix it in my place...they have no idea what it is going to take to get it out of my apartment. (I'm almost tempted to trouble shoot it myself since there is no warranty left anyway. With no picture at all, it can't be too hard to find the problem.)

I wonder how many of these repair places actually know anything about HDTV's yet????

2. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

I can't imagine anyone with any sense wanting to bring a 73" RPTV into the shop as a first option!

If it's out of warranty, try some independent repair shops. Get recommendations from friends if possible. Where are you located? Maybe someone here on the forum could recommend a repairman in your area.

Jan

3. Michael Varacin

Michael Varacin Stunt Coordinator

I'm in Bethel, Connecticut. Even though I don't like the sound of these service guys on the phone, I think I should still use them. I spoke to one of the customer relations reps at Mits, and they offer a case by case payment program to help cover the repair on out of warranty TV's...at least that's what I was told. How much depends on what's wrong, how old the set is, ect.

I'll keep everyone posted as to the outcome of this. I just can't believe that there is only one authorized Mits repair shop within any reasonable distance.