What's new

anyone with experience with the Adire Brahma (1 Viewer)

Richard_M

Second Unit
I am contemplating getting a new subwoofer, I am thinking about the M&K 5000, I will be having a listen to a 12" Adire Braham in a 80litre I think ported box middle of next week.

Now I realise the problem with this is that there is a lot of variances with the box, amp etc. But what I would like to understand is will the Braham sound as accurate as the M&K due to being in a ported box.

I guess I am trying to find out, what should I listen out for when trying the Braham, to enable me to make a subjective decision on which would be the better for my requirements.

I would also like to know if anyone has any comparisons between a Braham driver and the one used in the HSU VTF-3.

Regards,

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
The new XBL^2 technology used in the Brahma will allow it to sound exceptional when placed in an appropriate allignment.

However, the Brahama was designed for use in car audio (dual 2 ohm VC aren't a great idea for home audio and the FS is quite a bit higher than it should be for home use). Adire is currently in the final stages of developing a driver than has been dubbed the Uber15 by forum members (real name yet to be anounced). They are expecting to take preorders later this month and ship a few months from now.

Here are the rough specs Dan has given us:

Fs: 16 Hz
Qms: 4.15
Qes: 0.395
Qts: 0.360
Vas: 226 liters
Re: 3.14 Ohms
Le: 3.05 mH
BL: 16.16 Tm
Xmax: 36.27mm one way
Sd: 737 cm^2
SPL: 85.7 dB @ 1W, 1m

You'll note this means a Vd of 5.35L or more than two 12" Brahmas. It will also hopefully be around the $300 mark in cost. People are thinking about 4-5 ft^3 with 3 Adire PR15s or 2 Styke 18" PRs with a kilowatt of power. Result should be something that could take on a pair of SVS Ultras.

But currently, the Tempest can move just as much air as the 12" Brahma and is perfectly suited for home vented applications. It is less than half the cost and in an appropriate allignment only requires 250W into 4ohms to put out some serious bass. The problem is the huge enclosure size required. 215-340L. However large enclosures are very easy to have sufficient and low enough porting for. I have no idea how you could tune an 80L enclosure to 20hz and keep the port air speed low enough with 2.5L of Vd to pump through it (well I do, but I don't thing many people would be keen on parascope ports :p)).

As for sound quality. Any of the drivers I've mentioned in low tuned (20hz and under) vented enclosures that are appropriately sized for the driver being used will sound very much like low Q sealed boxes. In other words very very good. Very few commercial subs could compete (at least in the reasonable price brackets, even some in the not so reasonable price brackets couldn't compete).

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
I was going to repsond but Dustin summed it up too well :D
However, the Brahma can be used in HT subs with PR's but it wont be able to have a reponse quite as deep as a Shiva or Tempest because of its higher Fs.

Richard_M

Second Unit
Thanks for the great info!!, really appreciate the help.

I hope to also be listening at the same time as the Brahma, the same size box with a Focal 12" driver as well.

This will help to make some comparisons and hopefully some constructive decisions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks