anyone with experience using the Sony DVPNC650V?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Michaw, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Rob Michaw

Rob Michaw Stunt Coordinator

Just want to know what general opinions of the unit are? How is video playback, scanning in forward and reverse and layer switching? How is redbook playback if used as a transport? How is the SACD playback?

I am asking on behalf of a friend. He is using the Marantz SR-7000 as a receiver and a 43" Toshiba RPTV (forget the model, but it is not HD-ready).

Thanks.

2. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Eric
    I have this player, and for the $$$ it's worth it for a non-progressive dvd player. While the construction of the player might leave someone wanting more, it does its job with SACD. I haven't really played much redbook through it, but it seems to do a decent job with redbook cd. It has bass management for SACD, which is important, especially since you have to use the 5.1 and 2 channel outputs for stereo and multi-channel SACD playback. As for dvd - I haven't played a dvd through it yet (I got this player mostly for SACD - quick fix until I get the 555es). I plan on trying some DVD's this weekend, so I will report back my findings.

Eric.

3. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Eric,

I will be anxious to see your report. I am also interested in this player.

4. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Eric
    Ok guys here is my preliminary report. Keep in mind that I have hooked up the component outs to a DVDO ISCAN PRO.

So far I've played Legally Blonde and Toy Story in this player. Both discs played flawlessly in this player. It took the player approximately 4-8 seconds to determine whether it was a dvd, cd, or sacd loaded into the player.

If there was a chroma bug, I didn't see it. Scanning movies fowards and backwards, this player is very smooth.

Layer changes, I wasn't paying attention, or they were done so well that I couldn't notice. I will try a few discs with layer changes thatI know specifically where the l.c. is.

More later this weekend...!

Eric.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Eric, how do you like the 'NC650V with SACDs?

6. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Eric
    Keith :

I love it! Even though the tray is kinda flimsy...the player overall is pretty decent.

For SACD playback...I think it does a great job considering price ($315) and also that its my first experience with an SACD player. I am however looking into getting a 555es or a 777es. We'll see on those players.

Eric.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Eric, thanks. Glad to hear you are enjoyng the 'NC650V as an SACD player. You got a great deal on it at $315. The 'NC650V sounds like a great value. However, if you do get the 'C555ES or 'XA777ES, I know you will be impressed. If you get one of them, let us know.