What's new

Anyone with Denon 3802 problems? (1 Viewer)

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I remember seeing a few complaints from 3802 owners. What were they, and did the product need to be returned? I am debating, 2802 locally, or 3802 through internet. The thing is, I live in Hawaii, and if something goes wrong, I will haev to pay an arm and a leg to get it shipped back. Should I take the chance, or just sleep easy with the 2802?

Andrew_B

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 3802 and can't really complain about the heat issue. It's not as warm as the receiver it replaced, made by Sony. I'd always recommend buying it local, though, so much easier if there are any problems.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Can't your local dealer get a 3802? The 3802 has a far better digital processor and more robust power supply, and at $200 more at retail, it's not even a contest. The 3802 wins hands down. The 2802 is great, too. I just think it's more suited for smaller theaters.
p.s. I have 3802:) :emoji_thumbsup:

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
I have been running my 3802 as a pre-amp/processor since August. I have been very pleased. No operational issues.

I do have a teeny tiny bit of humm in my setup but I have begun to believe that it may be more related to using the separate amp than the 3802 alone. But no matter the cause, absolutely ANY other sound in the house masks it.

FWIW, Denons I've owned have always ran warm. But I've never had a failure...

David A. Frattaroli

Stunt Coordinator
If you don't care about DPLII, you can check out a 3801. They don't have the heat issues of the 3802 and are the same otherwise. Plus, you can get them for $650 new off of ebay.com.

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
I have no idea what the heat problem is that people are talking about. The 3300 had heat problems, but the 3801 and the 3802 don't.

Also I remember reading somewhere online in Germany or something, that they tested the 3, and the 3802 ran the coolest of the 3. I have my DVD player right on top of my 3802 temporarily, while I have some shelves built in my media niche, and not once have I had any heat build up. The receiver is barely even warm, even after cranking it.

All Denon receivers are built like tanks, and you most likely won't have any issues at all.

I would also recommend a 3802. The 2802 is a great machine, but the 3802 is even better, just like a 4802 is better than that, and a 5800 is even better.

But in my mind, the 3802 is where Denon begins it's top of the line offerings. The power supply in the 3802 is twice the size of the 2802, and DDSC is what Denon is known for as well.

Bryan

Phil T

Agent
Heat problems?? I don't have no stinkin' heat problems!!

This sucker runs cool. I'm running a full 7.1 speaker setup. During a "guys night", we ran 2 movies back-to-back (MIB and Matrix) with the 3802 running all 7 speakers at -5db (from the reference "0" setting...yeah it was loud, but that was the point!). When I pulled the DVD out after the second movie (almost 4 hours later), I checked the heat level rising off the 3802...it was "warm" at best. Very impressive. My old Sony 2020 and my Yamaha 992 ran considerably hotter than this thing.

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
I'm not familiar with the earlier models but I have been contemplating the purchase of a 3802. I demo'd one at a local dealer recently where it was in a rack with only about 1" of clearance above it. It was running cooler in that environment than my old HK AVR-25mkII ever does, even when out in the open. I don't think heat would be a problem on a properly functioning 3802.

John Royster

Screenwriter
I'll question the "heat problems" as well. I run my 3802 cranked in 7.1 and it runs very cool.

To the original poster - as with any piece of gear there is a small chance you will have problems.

Phil T

Agent
That sounds like prudent advice for a high-power receiver!

Every receiver I've ever owned had a warning like that in the manual.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I have seen brand new 3802's on www.dealtime.com , www.pricegrabber.com , and Link Removed for $700 - $800.
Considering one of these myself to be used as a pre/pro.
One of the only receivers I *haven't* seen a lot of complaints about. Marantz x200 pops and dropouts, Yamaha's "brightness" (which I never experienced having had an older 793, but they only give you 90 Hz for a crossover), etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks