Anyone with AR-1 or AR-315HO using SVS?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vishwa Somayaji, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Vishwa Somayaji

Vishwa Somayaji Stunt Coordinator

I am currently using AR-315HO speakers with 15 " subwoofer powered by 500w amp built in. This is the model equivalent to the current AR-1 speakers. I am wondering if anyone is using SVS subwoofer with this combination. I just want to know if it makes a significant improvement. As I am in Canada, I want to be sure it makes a difference even with these speakers which have decent subs built in, before I import them . Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Yes there will be a significant improvement. First of all, a quality external sub will generally have more clean output with less distortion down real low than a loudspeaker. Second of all, an external sub will generally have more placement flexibility and will allow you to take advantage of the extra output associated with boundary reinforcement of the external subwoofer. Will your built-in woofers be a waste when used with an external sub? IMHO, not necessarily. You should have the flexibility to cross over anywhere between, say, 40-80Hz when using an external sub. For music, you may even prefer to run your mains full range, who knows. You should be very pleased with powered towers + external sub(s).

3. Vishwa Somayaji

Vishwa Somayaji Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the kind response. I think I will go with an SVS.