What's new

Anyone with a Projector *and* a TV? (1 Viewer)

DanThomas

Agent
I'm wondering how many people have a Projector and a TV in their main viewing area? Here's why I'm wondering:

I recently got a Sony 60" HDTV. It's plenty large enough for watching regular TV (maybe even too large), and it's large enough for the few HD shows that interest me.

However, I don't go out to the movies -- I watch DVDs. I'd really like to get a projector and display movies on about a 100-110" screen. This would feel more like going to a theater.

But I don't want to watch regular stuff that large, for a couple of reasons. One is that I'm afraid I'll get used to the size, and when I watch movies it won't seem as much like going to the theater. The second is that I don't think SD looks all that good blown up that large.

So I'm actually considering keeping the TV, and purchasing something like the InFocus 4805 to use when watching DVDs - which would feel more like going to the theater.

If I could get a projector that scales down to around 60" and back up to 110" with a power zoom of some kind, I'd consider it. But I haven't seen anything like that, at least for less than the combination of the Sony and the InFocus would cost me.

Am I crazy to consider this? Does anyone else feel the same way that I do? Anyone else already use both a TV and a projector? I'd really like to hear other people's opinion.

-Dan

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
We watch all DVD's on our projector, and occasional HDTV(football games mainly). We watch everything else on a 32" set. But we have them in different rooms. The projector is in basement HT room, and 32" set is in family room.

BrianMe

Stunt Coordinator
I use a 46" Samsung DLP for daily viewing and some movies. The Infocus 4805 is dedicated movies, Xbox, or football. They are in different rooms, however.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm working towards going this route but in my media storage room, which is only a 9x12. The TV I'm using is an old 27" RCA, which is fine for SD viewing. The way I'll have it set up I'll be able to project from my Replay as well since it has VGA out. Yeah, the screen will only be 55" but given the size/dimensions of my room I'll be seated at 2X width. My living room with vaulted ceilings never quite worked with a projector, so I have a 42" in there. I did have the 55" screen in there but I was seated at about 3x width. Yes, I need a big rectangular basement :)

DanThomas

Agent
OK, it seems like I'm not totally nuts to consider this, then.

I'm curious if anyone knows of a projector, at any price, that can zoom from 60" to 110" with a remote?

-Dan

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
I watch special features, tv programs (on DVD), and some movies on my small 20' tv, and most movies on the projector.

RomanSohor

Second Unit
I have a pull down screen, and a 27" Philips SD TV on a stand with my old VHS and DVD player.

The TV is behind the screen when the screen is lowered.

It's actually the only TV in my house right now. I'm not going to watch King of Queens and Simpsons reruns on a 120" projector screen... :)

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
I too have a 27" tube set and an Infocus 4805. I have them in the same room. I NEVER use the FP for regular TV viewing. For one we really do not watch a lot of tv .....GASP!!.....and when I do I really do not want the head of Peter Jennings filling up my living room. The only TV viewing I do on the FP is big sporting events such as the Super Bowl or MLB playoffs. Regular season games I just view on the tv since I am a huge Sox fan (Red) and really don't miss a game so I just use the TV to not waste bulb life. I use the FP for DVD's only. I have a manual pull down screen that I have hanging on ceiling hooks just in front of the tv. When I watch a movie I put the FP on an end table and pull the screen down. If company comes over I take the screen down completely (easy to do but VERY rarely happens). This is the ultimate in WAF!! Everything is set up in a formal(ish) living room so this works perfect for us. I highly recommend people doing this if they don't want to bother with ceiling mounting and don't put 1,000 hrs a year on the bulb. I average about 350 hrs a year on the bulb. If I watched a lot more than I may go for a more permanent alternative but I do not see that ever happening.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I have a 27" direct view TV and 720p LCD projector in the same room. I have an XBR910 downstairs. The projector is preferred for HD D-VHS on movie nights. The 27" is preferred for standard definition TV viewing and the XBR910 for OTA and satellite HDTV. DVDs are great on either HD display.

Chris

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
SP4805 and CRT 32in in the same room. I wouldn't have it any other way. What little TV I watch is for the CRT. I am not always in the mood to have the picture dominate the room either. Last, I don't always want to watch stuff in the dark, having my windows wide open is nice sometimes.

--
H

DanThomas

Agent
OK, so now all I have to do is decide if I want to spend the money or not! Don't you just hate decisions? :D

I'm sure this has been addressed in a lot of other places, but since we're talking... Is it possible get a fairly inexpensive 100" screen that rolls up, either manually or automatically, for under, say $250? One that doesn't totally suck? If so, what/where?

-Dan

PS: I can't remember if it's against forum rules to talk about prices or not. If it is, someone please slap me!

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Sony WEGA 27" TV and an Infocus 4805 running an 82" diagonal screen, both in a dedicated basement HT room. The TV is in one front diagonal corner.

We don't watch a lot of TV, and what we do watch turned out to mostly be available on HD over cable.

Needless to say, we haven't watched *one single thing* on the TV since the 4805 went up. Watching "Lost" or "Alias" in HD on the big screen just doesn't compare.

I've had my PJ since late September, and have around 450 hours on the bulb. I figure if my bulb lasts a few years, which it should do, I'll probably just upgrade my PJ instead of getting a new bulb.

That said, I would consider putting a 42" plasma or something over the mantle in the family room, and watching mostly tv on that, and saving movies for the PJ. But since it's all in the same room right now, there is no comparison. . .

Wes

DanThomas

Agent
Just looked at some of the Da-Lite screens. If I get a screen that I intend to ceiling-mount, don't I want some additional black fabric at the top of the screen? If so, do I have to order this from Da-Lite directly?

-Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks