Anyone with a Mits TV and Panny RP-91?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JamesMart, Aug 5, 2002.

1. JamesMart

JamesMart Agent

Ok, well I made the next big purchase in my home theater setup. I purchased the New Mitsubishi WS-55311 TV. They are delivering it tomorrow, and I know little about Widescreen TV's and Progressive scan DVD Players. I bought the RP-91 mainly for DVD-A and MP3, but it is also a nice progressive scan dvd player as well from what I hear. Can anyone give me some advise on how to set all this up. Should I calibrate off the TV using AVIA, or calibrate off the DVD Player? Should I connect directly to the TV with my Component connections or should I rout them through my Denon 3802? What are some tips and tricks you all could suggest? Is the RP-91 going to offer a nice DVD picture if I use it's progressive scan capabilities? Thanks for all the help!

~Jim

2. JamesMart

JamesMart Agent

anyone? Someone has to have this combination

3. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I have the RP-91 and a Mits 55908. You will enjoy the combination. Leave the TV on for an hour or so and then do the convergence because it gets out of whack from shipping and delivery. Definitely, run your component cables directly to the set, so you don't risk degradation. Go through the Avia patterns paying particular attention to the Contrast(white level), because the Mit's come with it maxed out of the box.

For the RP-91, set TV type to 16X9 Projection, obviously, and black level to DARKER(actually do that before you calibrate with Avia). Press the PROGRESSIVE OUT button on the unit until the blue light comes on to put it in progressive scan mode. There are different modes in the menu(N,C,F,S, and U).I usually set mine to N(normal) although some transfers might benefit from a little tweaking by putting it in the U mode, and the RP-91 is a tweakers delight. Also in the U4 menu, set deinterlacing to Auto 2(seems to work the best) and 4:3 mode to AUTO(you might have to change it to Zoom for some non-anamorphic titles that are improperly flagged).

There is a RP-91 FAQ in the archives, so do a search and it will go into much more detail.

Congrats on the new purchases and enjoy.

DJ

4. ArnaudP

ArnaudP Stunt Coordinator

"I bought the RP-91 mainly for DVD-A and MP3".

As far as I know the RP91 doesn't play MP3.

5. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

It does play MP3s

6. JamesMart

JamesMart Agent

Thanks David! I can't wait! Will be here today!