What's new

Anyone with a Harman Kardon Receiver (specifically HK AVR 120) (1 Viewer)

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
I was just wondering if you remember when you got the receiver, did it have a plastic film across the entire front face, or just a very small portion (where the remote interfaces probably)?

Mine was a very small portion (and thus I have scratches all over the front face, including deep ones...got it from onecall.com not blaming them at all but they did tell me to "remove the front film" but that consisted of a small 0.5x0.5" square of film...didn't cover the front face at all).

Thanks,

ELmO

Craig Ball

Second Unit
I thought the same thing when I got my H/K 520 from onecall.

It' does have a film across the entire top portion, I removed my remote sticker and thought man thats scratched up!! Trust me you can't see it but start at one of the top corners and try scratching with your finger nail until it comes up. There is a sheet of plastic there, it's not scratched. Let me know how you got on.

Craig

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
^Thanks for this.

I'm going to try to make myself look like a fool for owning this receiver for months with this plastic film on.

You positive there is a film? I feel a deep scratch across the front (extending from the volume knob) and other scratches all over...I will try peeling but I just don't see how a film could be on this!

-ELmO

Craig Ball

Second Unit
No guarantees, but like you I was pissed when I saw the front of my H/K, I called onecall and they said there's a piece of film there and I thought they were full of it. I had mine for about 3 days before I figured it out. Good Luck.

Craig

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Guess I'm going to stay pissed off...been trying the past couple mins and for the life of me I don't get any plastic film coming from the corners (or top, bottom, sides). I'm going to end up scratching this thing more probably but still trying ...=(

-ELmO

Craig Ball

Second Unit
Was this unit brand new? or was it an open box unit? I hope it's not scratched, but it took me a couple of minutes to get it to start peeling off my self. Is the plastic shiny at all? or is the front kinda dull looking? Before I got the plastic off the entire top half where the plastic face is was dull looking. If it helps I got it to peel from the top right corner.

Craig

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Hello thanks for replying.

From what I know, it is brand new, that's how I ordered it from onecall.com. It retails for $400 and they had 10% off so it came down to $360.

It is pretty dull looking I don't see how much difference plastic would make though. If I hold a flash light to the front face I see all of the scratches, hundreds of them...I'm still trying to peel the face, I'll have someone else try in a few when they get up from bed.

It's not too bad as long as my receiver works fine which it is...it just isn't very appealing the eye up close hehe.

-ELmO

Craig Ball

Second Unit
Heres a tip look really close at where the Name Harman Kardon is and where the little round gold dts dolby ect.. buttons are at the middle bottom. If you look really close youll see rings around the buttons and around the name where the plastic is cut around it. My daughter had to point that out to me.

Craig

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Craig Great Tip.

I think I do indeed have a plastic film on it still!

The Harman Kardon logo seems to have an outer ring..and the circle buttons seem to have something around it..but the main thing was the "AVR 120". I held a flash light up to it and saw what looks like small bubbles of air, I pushed them with my finger and they dissappeared under the flash light...which means there is probably a plastic film over it!

But..now I must try to remove it!

Thanks for the tips,

ELmO

Craig Ball

Second Unit
Just keep picking away at one of the top corners at it will come up. You gonna like the look a lot better when that comes off.

Craig

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, got it off!
Thanks Craig.
Jeeze they kept that thing on tight, now it's a clean slate...!
Yes I'm happy again,
ELmO

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks