What's new

Anyone who lives/works in the US gotten to work outside the country? (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
This question is inspired by my younger cousin, who I haven't actually seen in a long time and probably doesn't read this forum (drop me a line if you are reading this!) He is currently working in Australia for an accounting firm over there, sent by one he works for here in the US- he'll be there for about a year and a half then they'll send him back here. Has anyone here gotten to do something similar to this?

I'm at a point in my life where I'm looking for a new line of work to get into, and plan on going back to school as soon as possible since I only finished about 2 years of college, hopefully I can stick with it and get a degree this time. The jobs I've had up til now haven't sent me anywhere far away, be it to another city, state or country, and I'd REALLY like to be able to do that in whatever profession I end up choosing- and no, I probably don't want to work for something like an airline as I don't really like dealing with the public, and I've heard it doesn't pay all that well either. Ideally I'd like to stick close to home but occasionally be sent out of town for something, and at least one time out of the country at least for a few days.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Both my wife and I worked extensively outside the States for a number of years.

Basically you need skills that some company needs and that are not available in the country where you would be relocated. Mostly this means something reasonably technical or management experience in your company.

In almost all cases you will need to deal (if not with the public) at least with senior technical and management personnel where you are being relocated.

Outside of private industry, the military and the State Department are good choices for living abroad—but then you don’t get to choose when to go or when to stay home

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Bumping this up to see if anyone else has done this, if not then I'll let it die. I just want to do this at least one time in my life.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

If you are in high tech, try to get on with a multi-national company that specializes in one or two technologies (say Nokia for instance). I worked for 5 years at a highly specialized computer hardware/software company (only 75 clients worldwide, but they had names like "Taiwan", "People's Republic of China", "New South Wales, Australia" ;) ).

The multi-national part is a given, and the specialization means not many people have the necessary skills to do your job, so travel is a must. I had all the travel I could want, usually two weeks at a time. Others at my company saw even more of the world. One unfortunate soul went on what we affectionately called the "Kevlar Tour 2001" - Two weeks in South Africa followed by two weeks in Israel, mostly on the Left Bank (and right after 9/11).

It was a great opportunity for me and I certainly have fond memories, but travel in a high stress environment can burn you out real quick, especially the two weeks at a time stuff. Plus, if you are a family man, it's not real conducive to a happy home - Singles (like myself) are usually overworked in the travel arena due to this fact.

So remember, be careful what you wish for. ;)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Work in R&D for a defense contractor. Believe me you will travel. I've been there done that too many times. Costa de la Luz in Spain, Sicily, Korea, Japan, the Philipines.... Plus stateside to all sorts of military bases, some of which strain credulity (did you know the Navy operates a submarine test base in Idaho? http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...ty/bayview.htm ). Traveled from San Diego to Hawaii on a cruise ship....that was nuclear powered and covered with missile launchers.

Tell it brother!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Your other option is to simply move to the country and get a job (i.e. work for a company in that country). I have had a few friends do this (Germany, Great Britain, Ireland) but it is obviously risky. Be sure you completely understand the visa laws and restrictions before heading over there expecting work. Also, right now may not be the best time for employment (global recession).

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Great answers (and not to discredit Lew's response, but I just wanted to hear from a few more people as well.) I'm not really 'high-tech' or military type, but I'm going to be finishing college- I went for a couple years after high school (I'm 36 now) and just couldn't do it, but I'm a little more motivated now and willing to give it another shot this year. Initially I'm going to try for a degree in accounting, since that's what my cousin did and I can't think of anything better right now (my previous major was media communications, which given the state of TV and radio today I'm glad I didn't finish as I'd probably hang myself working in that industry) but if I do find a 'better' major then I'll switch to that, just as long as I get a degree in something.

The jobs I've had up til now haven't let me go anywhere more than 100 miles away- I kept thinking there'd be possibilities if I just hung in there, but it just never happened and there really doesn't seem to be any hope for that at the job I'm doing now. I've got 2 kitties so I don't want to be gone all the time (they've got plenty of options for being taken care of though if I do go anywhere) but I've realized I want to see some more of the world, and I don't just want a job, I want an adventure.

'Moving' temporarily somewhere and trying to find work sounds like fun, but I'd have to have a lot of money saved up, and I should probably finish school first anyways just so employers will consider me more qualified. There's a message board I visit for people in the movie theater industry, which I worked in for 10 years, and I've often seen help-wanted posts for projectionists at theaters in places like Sydney or New Zealand. I've been tempted to respond to those, but I'd still need to have some money saved up to get over there and make sure I could earn enough just to pay for shelter and food. We'll just have to see what happens; if I actually make it anyplace I'll bump this up again and let you all know, but if I don't it'll just sink into the archives.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Although not a long term out of the country, I had two experiences during factory start-ups. I was the fifth man hired for the start-up of a brake drum factory. We were purchasing equipment out of Holland. I spent 5 weeks there doing trial runs with the equipment. During non-work time, we did a lot of sight seeing including the tulip festival. I was one of the first 3 hired for the start up of my current factory. Here we spent 4 weeks in Japan. Once again we did much sight seeing.

I enjoyed visiting other countries this way. We still did "tourist" things, but there was a lot of interaction on the personal level. We were invited to peoples homes for dinners, in Japan we ate in the factory lunch room daily, and we had our own tour guides. In both trips, we really got a good idea of what day to day life is like for an average person. They are great experiences that I will always remember. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

That's because everyone wants to go there. I was given a choice of travel destinations back in 2002, and before I opened my mouth, the boss said "Forget Australia!" even though I was listed as primary support engineer for New South Wales. The people who did travel there had to sign on for a 2 year stint, and one guy who left for a week to come back to visit his girlfriend had his visa declined on reentry. They make it real hard to get work there because everyone wants in.

By the way, true to form, everyone I've met who spent time there loved it and would go back. Especially the single guys. ;)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I worked in Oz a number of times, once for 5 straight years. Canberra for about 2 or 3 months, Melbourne for 6 or so, Adelaide for 2 years and Sydney for another 3.

I knew many expats, including a good number from current and former parts of the British Empire. While I did know (and work with) a number of Americans, they all had skills that were not available in Australia.

To be sure, many of these skills included jobs that could be filled by Australians, but the local Aussies did not have the contacts back in the home (US) office to be able (in the eyes of the company) to fill in one day one—assuming a takeover or startup from a US-centric company.

Of course as time goes on, the lower level skills (such as a programmer) are quickly filled by locals as they learn the ins and outs of the US company. And as more time passes the upper levels of management and technical management are able to be filled by locals.
Most companies will only offer even temporary expat assignments to their more senior technicians, so those new to a job may not have the track record necessary to secure a plum assignment.

It is much easier to get an expat assignment to places that do not have a large, skilled workforce. Think Third World rather than Western Europe, Australia, Japan and so forth. Also consider places with a lot of job openings and a low, even if very skilled, population (used to be the case in New Zealand—probably not so much now).

Finally, International of American Schools are frequently looking to hire qualified teachers. Normally the pay is not so great (you may need to share a room), but I knew a good many teachers in Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia and Brazil who took these assignments—as I recall you normally needed to sign up for a couple of years.

And as Jeff mentioned--I loved Oz.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
One more thing—citizens of the Empire used to emigrate to New Zealand and then move on to Australia (a dodge that worked for them, but I think would not do so well for Americans)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks