Anyone watching the Jones/Tarver fight tonight? (Now with the result - spoilers)

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by PatB, May 15, 2004.

1. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

I hope this is a good one, it' pricey enough. I thought the first one was a Jones win no question, close, but a win nonetheless. Tarver is walking around talking about having fulfilled his dreams and all: He lost the fight!! That's what sports+ego is coming to these days.
    Boxing is still a great sport I think because of fights like this. Nothing like a good story.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Well, just heard that the fight only lasted 2 rounds and Tarver connected with a nasty left and it was "Good night, Gracie" for RJJ.

(update, it was a very short, compact left-handed punch that just caught RJJ flush and rung his bell, RJJ never did see it coming)

HBO will probably show this fight again next Saturday.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Y'all remember the EA Sports curse? Whoever's on the cover of their videogames will get hurt? In Madden 2004, Michael Vick was the coverboy and got hurt in pre-season, sitting out 12 games.

Well EA Sports, put Roy Jones Jr. on Fight Night 2004, and look what happened! [​IMG]

4. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

The curse's days are numbered. It's coming over the middle against Ray Lewis. It won't be coming back.[​IMG]

5. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

Man, I didn't even think of the EA curse. That's getting downright scary.

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

7. Michael Caicedo

Michael Caicedo Second Unit

Michael Caicedo
    That's landed seven punches.

8. Dennis

Dennis Second Unit

PatB, I saw the first fight (I missed the rematch), and I felt that Tarver was justified in believing he won. I've seen worse examples of fighters thinking they won. Who did you think won the last De La Hoya-Mosely fight?

9. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

I think DLH won the second fight. If you're talking about a decision then I don't think you can give it to Shane just for hitting him with some big shots. They didn't rock DLH or put him in any danger, he clearly controlled the fight to me.

And that's fine if you think Tarver won the 1st one, although I completely disagree. But how is that a fulfillment of dreams? Fine if he says is after this one but after the 1st? No way. And it wasn't such a clear cut thing even after the first. I'm certainly not the only one who thinks Tarver lost.