What's new

Anyone watching K Street on HBO (1 Viewer)

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I was bored the other day, so I watched a couple of episodes of K Street on HBO. It was really interesting, until I discovered that most of it isn't real. It's real politicians and political advisors, interacting in some real/some phoney situations.

For instance, they showed James Carville prepping Howard Dean for the 2nd debate. I assume that was real. Then, they have a story line about some guy who joined Carville and his Mary Matlin's firm. That was fiction.

Am I the only one who finds this confusing? It would be much more interesting to see the real behind the scenes stuff, rather than a "Scripted Documentary".

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's sort of goofy, this show.

The Francisco character is too smarmy to like, feels like a sociopathic character of dubious merits.

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
I'm done with it. Two weeks was enough. I don't care at all about the characters. I want to see the Washington insider stuff more and last week was all about this snide, petty crap between the characters.

Plus, the dialogue is mixed all screwy. I thought it was just my DISH feed, but I've asked others and their HBO feeds had the same issue. I had to turn my receiver up 15Db to hear anything. That was annoying,too.

Compelling concept, execution bad.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
It's all fiction. Just like the Sopranos aren't a real family.

K Street attempts to paint, in an entertaining way, what goes on in Washington.

Where fiction and truth did came together was when Dean actually used in a debate one of the lines Carville said in the fictional prep session.

As stated on the HBO site: "K STREET is a new weekly series that ventures inside the world of powerful political consultants--a world that few people ever experience first-hand. Produced on location in Washington, D.C., the largely improvised ten-episode series combines fictional characters with appearances by real-life political figures, all centered around the biggest political news of the week. Each episode will be shot within days of its premiere on HBO, guaranteeing a relevance and vitality beyond what any series has attempted before."

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
I've watched it all 3 weeks, but I can't say I like it. I'm not sure who their core audience is, but I kind of wish they'd put small text on the screen describing who the hell this person is and what they do when they introduce a new person. Even if they're not a fictional character, I'm not familiar with every Washington player's face.

In the second episode Maggie was on the phone arguing with someone and then confronts them on the street. What's the significance here? We don't know who she is, and it's never explained. In episode 3 someone comes into Maggie's office and basically threatens Maggie to never talk to this lady again, but still no explanation as to who she is.

Not sure how many more chances I should give this show. Maybe I'll just watch it once in a while when the stories they're covering are interesting to me.

Plus, the dialogue is mixed all screwy. I thought it was just my DISH feed, but I've asked others and their HBO feeds had the same issue. I had to turn my receiver up 15Db to hear anything. That was annoying,too.
Yes, very annoying. I have to put my receiver on -10Db where normal shows are -25 to -20.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think that was Maggie's former lover that she berated on the street. The only problem is that Maggie doesn't really want to let go of that relationship.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I think this show will appeal to people who liked Soderbergh's FULL FRONTAL... it reminds me more of that film each week.

I want to see more politics and in a context, please. Entertainment Weekly has already berated this one as the next ARLISS. :)

I think that was Maggie's former lover that she berated on the street.
Yeah, at the end of the last episode, she told her co-worker that she had been dumped.

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
No wonder I'm confused. In the first episode she was talking to what I assumed was her boyfriend on her cellphone while everyone else was watching the debates, and taunting "Maggie's got a boyfriend". :rolleyes

RobertW

Supporting Actor
No wonder I'm confused. In the first episode she was talking to what I assumed was her boyfriend on her cellphone while everyone else was watching the debates, and taunting "Maggie's got a boyfriend".
yes, and now i wish i could remember that conversation, cause i think he's right, maggie and her were lovers, maggie got the dump, but she just can't let go. if i could remember what was said, it might be pretty revealing in retrospect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks