Anyone watch 'Davy Crockett' yet?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dave H, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I haven't seen any reviews for this anywhere. How's the DVD quality?

2. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

3. StephenC

StephenC Stunt Coordinator

Sam's Club also has them for $21.99.[​IMG]

4. Brian York

Brian York Stunt Coordinator

Costco has it for $23.99 (in case you don't have a Sam's Club near you like me!)

5. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    The set is fantastic! there are few extras, but I don't really mind, i'm just excited to have Davy Crockett.

Each Episode includes the original beginnings nad ending credits from the wonderful world of disney, Seeing the Three Caballeros advertised the next week made me laugh, and want to go watch it, I haven't seen it in years, and when I saw those Cacti jumping up huge, three times their size when the lovely woman donald is enamored with, I howled, How'd they get away with that sort of sexual inneundo at that time?

I only watched the first episode of Davy, it looked very good, much better than i've seen it before. There was some uneven fading throughout the print, sometimes things are a little bit brown all over and the sky isn't quite blue, and other times things are prefectly crisp and clear, and the background mountains wherever they shot this at look breathtaking. there is a short maybe twenty second instance on the first dvd where the footage is suddenly sepia tone. I'd really like to know why that happened, a featurette on finding the source materials and repiecing and restoring t he original cut would have been nice. Other than that it looks to be a great set!

6. Richard F

Richard F Extra

I just watched the set which was quite enjoyable.Many people on this forum are probably too young to have experienced the original release of this series.Released in 1954 and 1955 the first 3 installments were such a success that Disney came back a year later with 2 additional episodes.These are all included in the set as well as additional supplemental material including a look at the Crockett craze which generated 3 million dollars in spin off merchandise(10 times that in today's dollars) and a conversation between Leonard Maltin and Fess Parker about his signature role in the series. I thought the transfer of the film was superb with only an occasional brief lapse into non-color images,as previously mentioned,which does not detract from the overall experience.The score,particularly the unforgettable Ballad of Davy Crockett,is what makes this series great.I was instantly transported back about 45 years to my own childhood when the coonskin cap and buckskin jacket were the rage. This is a nice addition to anyone's collection and a fine effort by Disney.

7. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

Brings back alot of good memories. But what was interesting is how "sophisticated" we've become in our Tv entertainment, but the "bar" is definitely lower of what we accept as entertainment these days.

8. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

just revived this thread simply because my copy arrived this week.
    Great show and the extra features were fantastic. During the credits I discovered this was done by Kurtti - Pellerin, who also did Tron, Snow White and Lord of the Rings as well.
    Is there any other material from Disney about Davy Crockett out there ?
    Thanks in advance
    [​IMG]

9. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

This set of complete episodes

is so much more enjoyable for me than

the "compilation" film Disney put out in theaters.