What's new

Anyone want to quit smoking with me? (1 Viewer)

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I just wish more time and money would be spent on an anti-alcohol agenda.
As a non drinker I can agree with this. Some can handle it and some can't!
OK where are you Rain? It's Monday morning and...........no cigs, I dont even have any, yeah I want one, but no way!
Jon, good job on quitting!!, do you feel any better?
------------------
Sean
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Good morning, all.
My weekend was a bust, basically, so I'm starting over fresh today with the Monday Quitters. I'm going to leave this thread open for inspiration.
Oh yeah, I talked to my father last night. He has been smoking for about 40 years or so. His doctor told him that he has early stages of emphysema and, if he doesn't quit, he'll be "taking a walk with an oxygen bottle" within 10 years.
I'm still with ya!
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
Any smokers who want to accept the challenge of joining me in quitting? If so, click here

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Sean,
Ive noticed a bit of a change as far as energy goes.Im not so "down". Ive definitely noticed a difference in smell and taste.
Still have a craving her and there, but today has been very easy so far. The easiest day yet.
Guys, I got some bad news on Friday night and the first thing I thought was I want a cigarette. But I REALLY THOUGHT about if I wanted one and whether I wanted to throw away the past few days-a few mintues later the urge passed. You can do it-just convince yourself you really want to stop.
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung
[Edited last by JonZ on November 05, 2001 at 11:52 AM]

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Rain:
I'm still with ya!
Better be you started it!! :) I know it's tough, hang in there!
Jon, I'm glad to hear that, it's been 12 hours since I've had a cig and it is going ok, if I don't think about it, I am ok.
Of course I am a "newbie" quitter and I'm sure I will have obstacles, but so far so good!
------------------
Sean

Ian Wilson

Agent
Hang in there, each day will be a little easier. I quit at the begining of the year. Used Zyban which worked a treat. Look at it this way - the first few days are the hardest so if you keep on giving up on giving up you'll have to relive those first few days time and time again.
Avoid if possible any triggers, such as coffee and esp. drinking. Keep busy to occupy the mind.
Good luck
Ian

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Well, I have noticed 1 thing after not smoking a whole day, I"M HUNGRY!!! Food smells great and tastes great!!
Looks like I'll be eating the savings! :)
Give me a month and I will post before and after pics of my belly! :)
------------------
Sean

John Johnson

Agent
Well, I'm the only chewer (which is probably worse :) ) in here, but it's not going too bad. Cut down dramatically - now only three a day. I was at the point before where I would actually have a dip in more than I wouldn't. Hopefully tomorrow I can cut down for good (tough to handle the headaches :) )
One other hint for all the nicotine-addicted: Avoid caffeine, too. Nicotine helps your body process caffeine better, so when you eliminate nicotine, your body doesn't have the extra gitty-up to tone down the effects of the uppers, then you actually go through caffeine withdrawal as well as nicotine withdrawal...
[Edited last by John Johnson on November 06, 2001 at 07:04 AM]

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Sean, it looks as though you are the only success story so far. Congratulations buddy and hang in there.
I'm going to stop torturing myself for a few hours and try again starting tomorrow morning.
If it's any consolation, yes I feel like a total loser for having started this and for being a big wimp about it.
frown.gif

------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

Any smokers who want to accept the challenge of joining me in quitting? If so, click here

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Thats OK Rain, Keep trying!
Today is day 2 I haven't had a cigarette since sunday night.
Today went pretty good, I kept busy, I modified and refurbished the exhaust system on my Hot Rod, cleaned the yard, and went down to the bowling alley to talk to my friend the owner( I am also an avid Bowler).
Ahhhh, it's a struggle, but you know what? today was quite a bit easier than yesterday, I'm not giving up now, I was a slave to those damn things for more than 18 years(I'm 34).
I really believe I'm going to make it.
I really feel strange, I'm sure it must be the withdrawals(which physically go away after 72 hours).
OK I'm going to EAT and then chew my fingernails off :)
Just Kidding!
------------------
Sean

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Hows everyone doing?
Jason Seaver tried to quit about a year ago, Ive been wondering if he was able to quit or not.
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
C'mon guys (Rain)! Don't make me get all drill-sergeant on your asses!
Drop those cigarettes!!!
Take deep breaths!!!
Run 10 laps!!! (oh so cruel to make a smoker do that)
Kidding aside, keep at it guys, even cutting down is doing you good. You can quit!

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I've been sheepishly avoiding this thread since, so far, I've had little success. Being the one who started this whole thing, I feel a bit like a Total Loser.
Nonetheless, I shall be trying again for this (long) weekend.
Sean (our only success story), how are you doing?
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

[Edited last by Rain on November 09, 2001 at 03:23 PM]

Matt Perkins

Stunt Coordinator
I saw this thread when it started, and avoided it out of anxiety. I've been smoking since I was 22 (I'm 26 now) and HAVE GOT to stop.
It's absolutely ridiculous; I've done everything EXCEPT quit. When my girlfriend complained that she hated sleeping next to the aura of stale smoke, I didn't quit ... instead, I started showering before bed. How lame is that???
I've tried psyching myself against it, telling myself "Smokers are SLAVES of the tobacco industry." And even slavery got pretty comfortable.
The funny thing is, when I do actually go for a few days without smoking, I FEEL GREAT about it. If I could actually quit, and I mean, be able to tell people "I stopped smoking," I would feel absolutely invincible. What can't I handle, if I can walk away from cigarettes?
There's never going to be a "good" time. Rain, you had the balls to stand up and try, so I'm going to stand up too. Going in, I'm pretty frickin' anxious; but now, I feel like all you guys are counting on me.
I'm in.

Kendal Kirk

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys, I thought that I would jump in on this. I am not a smoker but a "Big Dipper."
All kidding aside, I probably go through 2-3 cans a day on average. Of late, it has gone down considerably. Let me explain. . . for as long as I can remember, I always seem to get depressed during the winter. I was determined that I wouldn’t let this happen to me this year, so I went to my doc and he prescribed Paxil. Since it has started to kick in, I have noticed that I don’t crave a dip as I have in the past.
I have dipped for 22 years, and surprisingly don’t have the gum problems, YET. Maybe seeing this thread was the sign that I need to break this addiction.
I will be back . . .
Kendal
[Edited last by Kendal Kirk on November 09, 2001 at 04:11 PM]

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Rain, I am 5 days a non smoker! So Far so good! Thanks for the thread it is actually working, but my wife dropped out
frown.gif

Matt, C'mon jump on board I'm with you, if you need any help or encouragement please post and I'll check in and see if I can help, GOOD LUCK!
------------------
Sean
[Edited last by Sean Conklin on November 09, 2001 at 11:39 PM]

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Kendal, jump on in were here for ya'!
------------------
Sean

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I've just checked on your progress, and I feel as if I've barged in on an AA meeting. :)
Good luck to all of you. Consider this endeavor to be of the two-steps-forward-one-step-back variety. There'll be pitfalls along the way, and a few slippery slopes. But, with determination, you can do it.
BTW--associative behaviors make quitting tobacco harder. In other words, if you pop open a brewski, you're making it harder (as in, I never drink a beer without having a smoke as well).
But who am I to give advice on overcoming vices? :)
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Sam C

Stunt Coordinator
I don't talk about this much but I'll let everyone know a little about smoking ... Quit for someone else ... If you can't quit for yourself ... Think of someone else who you'd either hurt by dying ... Or could be killing with your smoke ...
My father smoked 3 packs of Kool Non-Filter Menthol a day fro 30 years ... Well in 1998 my sister was diagnosed with lung cancer(she had tumors on her kidney's and liver as well) ... Since she wasn't a smoker they found it strange until they found out my father was a heavy smoke ... Now obviusly they can't pinpoint the cause but we felt they leaned towards that ... Well 6 months after being diagnosed she passed away ... My sister was 18 when she died and had graduated from high school just 2 months earlier ...
Since my father has quit smoking ... He doesn't blame himself but for a long time I know he did ...
So to get this back to a HT theme ... Think of all the upgrading you can do to your theater if the money spent on Cigs is now spent on Hardware/Software ...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks