What's new

Anyone want to quit smoking with me? (second try) (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Actually, Jeff, I find weekends much easier than when I'm working (like now)... Since it's payday and all, I guess I'll have to go buy some new DVDs to take my mind off of smoking. Poor me. :D

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
OK Rain, here's a proposal. If you can go 3 weeks without smoking I'll run out and buy the Red Shoes (Criterion Version) watch it, and write a brief review on this or some other thread. If you can go 3 months I'll do the same for Children of the Revolution. However...

if you do not, every week you smoke you must confess your profound love of The Matrix and other movies of my choosing (that I know you hate!) on this forum. If anything will get you to stop, I'm sure this will!

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

HAHA, now whenever you are about to light up you'll hear (in Keanu Reeves voice) "Whoa, I know Kung Fu." If that doesn't stop you, I don't know what will.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Hi all.
Well today is day 1. I told myself I'd quit sometime in September, but never set an exact date. I was waiting for the right moment. That came last night before bed. I had to 2 cigarettes left in my pack. I decided, I'll smoke em now, so I have nothing tommorow morning when I wake up.
So this morning came. Had my coffee and didn't think too much about not having a cigarette. Took my shower and throw on my first patch.
For about the first 15 minutes it was itchy, but after that it stopped. Looking at it now, my skin is reddish. For those that used the patch, is this normal? It's a light red/pink. I think I remember reading this could happen. Anyway, seems to working great. You know that light headed, "feel good" feeling you get when you don't have a cigarette for hours, then have one? Well, it's a hint of that, but prolonged. I like it :)
I haven't read this whole thread yet, so I'll go over it each day. Congrats to those that have successfully quit! Wish me luck!
Mike D.
P.S. This is about my 6th or 7th time quitting, and hopefully my last!

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
Mike -

Way to Go!!!! I have never used the patch so I can't answer that question.

Rain -

How was your weekend???? Everything going ok? Be strong at work. You can do this!

Laters,
Jeff

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Hey,

Well I had a few of smokes over the weekend, but I'm talking like 4-5 as opposed to the 60 or so I'd normally smoke. None today though.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Jeff, thanks!

The reddness went away about an hour after posting. I find the toughest part so far, is not having my "smoke breaks". Usually every hour I get up from my desk and go outside to have one. I used to look forward to them. Now it's missing. But to help compensate, I've gone outside twice to chew a stick of gum, so it's helping. Otherwise, I feel pretty good I have to say. The patch is helping my physical addiction big time! It's the mental addiction I have to work on.

As I mentioned, this is my 6th or 7th time trying to quit. Twice before I used Zyban (Welibutrin). The first time it worked great! Excpet after 2 months I decided I didn't need it. I was back to smoking a month later. The 2nd time Zyban didn't work at all. Other times were cold turkey, and the gum once, that didn't work well for me at all. I lasted a few days with those methods, and was shakey and jittery ALL the time.

This is my first time w/ the patch and it's the only time I'm not nervous or jittery. The Zyban would block that "feel good" feeling from smoking. that was a bit odd. But this patch gives it to me in doses, and after time I suppose less and less as to ween me from it. Seems like the right way to do it.

Rain,

Good luck! Hope it works out for you!

Mike D.

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Mike, Great to hear your quitting! I hope you succeed. Just remeber you can use the money you save to buy DVDs. Thats the motivation some of us used earlier in the thread. It works well!
Rain, I think this may be your time. The reason I say that is that you are handling your "cheats" MUCH better than last time. Last time you got all worked up and beat yourself up over the smokes you had. This time you recognise that you are doing better and you dont seem to upset about it. Thats great I would think beating yourself up of a smoke would just make the whole quitting process harder. Anyway, I hope you do it this time.

Good luck guys, and me, and anyone else in this thread thats quitting.

Mike (Hutman) and Zen, You guys still good?

Later,
Marshall

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Day 2 and going strong! :D
The instructions for the patch say you can wear it while sleeping if you get cravings in the morning. But, they say you may have "vivid" dreams. LOL, they weren't kidding! I dreamed I was in some kind of sci-fi flick, one of the coolest dreams I ever had. Too bad I forgot most of it...
Mike D.

Mike Hutman

Supporting Actor
Mike (Hutman) and Zen, You guys still good?
I don't know about Zen, but I am doing fine. I'm not really sure how long its been(around 2 to 2 1/2 months)I think. I sure feels good to know that I have that much will power. Sometimes I feel like I can do anything now. Don't get me wrong though, not a day has gone by that I don't think about cigarettes. One thing that I do know is that if I can do it, anyone can do it.
Rain, Mike_D, I hope you guys can feel as good as I do. Stay strong. You can do it.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
not a day has gone by that I don't think about cigarettes
I hear that from all ex-smokers and it troubles me. I don't want that to happen. I want to completely forget they ever existed in my life. :frowning: But I'm not gonna let that stop me! :)
Mike D.

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
Mike__D sez:

I want to completely forget they ever existed in my life
(Sort of) Funny story. My mom and dad both quit in the '60s, right after the first Surgeon General's report came out. My mom did have the yen for a smoke for years afterwards BUT SHE WOULDN'T GIVE IN. Eventually, she lost the craving too. (My dad was Superman, put 'em down and never looked back).

Anyway, my mom is now in the early stages of Alzheimer's and has moments now where she thinks she's still in the WWII RCAF, wonders where my brother is (died in an accident in 1981), or talks about my upcoming wedding (I'm married 19+ years). But, with all that confusion, she still seems to have beaten the evil weed. When she is in her RCAF universe, she doesn't want to smoke, even though she smoked like a stack in the war. Here's the funny part. I was visiting her one day last week and she said, "You know, I don't seem to smoke anymore. I don't remember quitting. When did I give that up?"

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Hi, guys
Well, I've cut down to 5-6 per day. Except for yesterday, when I smoked like crazy.
I went out to buy my first 16x9 TV yesterday and I was quite apprehensive and nervous about spending that much dough, so I smoked. :frowning:
Anyway, I took the rest of the week off from work and am now back to the minimal smoking (only one so far today) and hope to be smoke free by the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks