Anyone want to check out the Dayton 15" MK III from PE?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by steve nn, Nov 11, 2005.

1. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

With a in-room (my room) response of +-3 down to 21 Hz with out the use of EQ or PEQ, it could prove to be a great sealed option for $688? SPL and SQ is all there.[​IMG]

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=300-764

I should have a much better idea in a week or so, but my first impression is this thing is ok. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Steve,

That's actually a pretty good bargain - considering the 1000 watt amp alone runs $399. I've heard "the Drake" featuring the 1000 watt amp pushing a 12" Dayton RS driver in a slightly smaller cabinet. Considering I heard it in a very large room, it performed quite well.

Looking forward to your future impressions on this sub after you've had some time to get acclimated to it.

3. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Thats good to hear and the 12" at that. This is a sub thats been staring me in the face for years now and from what little I know of it so far...it could be worthy contender. It's compression traits are quite nonexistent so far, unless at very high MV...very stout for a 15" sealed!

4. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

East

Great, glad to see it made it by Friday.!

Promise info asked for is coming, alot of typing to do. Just wanted to make sure you know I'm not sitting on my fingers so to say.

Keep beating on it, [​IMG] I mean testing, measuring, & comparing. [​IMG]

Will talk with you soon.

West

5. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Maybe play is a better term??[​IMG] I just received the info you sent East and I Thank you. It does seam to correlate with my findings so far and the polyfill is a good idea. I thought of it earlier actually and think it might be worth another Hz or so in extension. If I could get this to +-3 at 19 Hz with out the use of EQ, it would be all the better.

To give the members a little idea of what the Dayton MKIII can do (in my leaky room)I'll post one preliminary graph with Ilkka's help. In the first Fly-by in SW III (30 Hz scene).. I was able to hit xy with these subs. With the MKIII I was able to hit 110dB at -5 and it was quite linier getting there.
    [​IMG]

6. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I went ahead and copied this from another Thread over at AVS. It will explain what happened with my false readings yesterday pertaining to the Dayton. Please forgive for not validating the battery in the first place.:b

Quote:
    so was this just for fun to see what the kit would do?

In a nutshell it was and of course the SVS's will be staying.

Quote:
    but can't really find any good credible reviews.

I have to tell you I'm terribly embarrassed. I just sent a mail off pertaining to it actually. Heres the deal....Yesterday I did a quick FR sweep and I thought it was correct. Measured a few scenes and that was that. After extensively listening to the EAGLES (hell freezes over) disk today with the Dayton and the 22 Hz tuned 25PCi..I knew something wasn't adding up. So I decide to do a serious sweep with both units (needed done anyway) and it turns out the battery was weak in the Dgtl RS. Long story short...the Dayton drops fast in-between 25 and 30 Hz. The 22 Hz tuned 25-31PCi hangs in there until 18 Hz. I guess this is a good lesson on dotting your I's and crossing your T's before you post.

Quote:
    You taking a flyer on the PE kit is definitely a good thing.

I'll do my best to give you the straight scoop anyway, even though I might have to apologize for a mistake or two along the way.

Thank you K.

7. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I originally had a terribly wide peak that needed taming and the lower FR addressed. With me being used to the PEQ on my Ultra's and in my haste... I inadvertently took it for granted that all three PEQ knobs needed to be turned full (to the left) to disengage. With the Dayton HPSA 1000W amp this isn't the case. I was effectively chopping the bottom end off while providing more headroom for the peak. Anyway after spending some time with it today, I have the FR smoothed out to a +-6 with the onboard EQ from 19 Hz on up. I could achieve a flatter FR response if I wanted to introduce outboard EQ and use the HPSA PEQ for cut, but a little curve works just fine with me for HT.

I revisited the Eagles disk and SW-II after dialing it in today and it did very well. The Dayton sounded a little dryer this time around (since last-night) and exhibited very little ring or overhang. Very polite and easy to listen to imo. Hard hitting when called for yet conveyed all the subtleties with ease.

It still retained it's headroom after boosting the low-end and was still able to achieve 109-110dB on the SW II Fly-by scene with no light clipping at -0. I'll be sure to measure in the future as to where compression starts on this scene and graph for reference.

8. John S

John S Producer

Hmm week battery in the RS Digital... I think I will change mine as well. Better safe than sorry, I thinbk it is still the original battery even, quite a lot of use in between.

9. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Being you just did a Thread..it could save you some embarrassment and time next time around.:b