Anyone Want A Robot?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mark Shannon, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

My local AMC theater has a poster for this website (NS5 PDA - Personal Domestic Assistant), so I thought I'd check it out. It appears to be an actual robot, with a positronic brain, and all the bells and whistles, to be used in and around your house. Apparently it comes out July 16th.

To me, this just looks like some sort of a sham. Are we really that far along to have a robot of this complexity. And would it be available to the home consumer (for a hefty price, I imagine). To me, this looks just like the Phantom Console, or the unsuccessful Segway Human Transporter.

A friend of mine made a discovery regarding this. When you click "Learn More" and then on the right side click "Innovators", among the names listed are Peter Bogert. When doing a search for this name, he discovered the Peter Bogert is the name of a mathematician in Isaac Aasimov's novel, "I, Robot". Hmmm, "www.irobotnow.com. Any similarities. Either this is some kind of hoax or sham, or that just happens to be one huge significance.

2. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    It's a poster for a film. It's called I, ROBOT (based on the Asimov stories) and it's coming out July 16th. Will Smith is the star of the film, Alex Proyas is the director.

No hoax or sham (unless, of course, the movie stinks...) [​IMG]

3. Grant B

Grant B Producer

DOOOOHHHH!!!!!

4. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i probably would have been 'fooled' by this as well, the website is set up as a company website. clever, but confusing. and i cant wait to see the movie.

funny related article at the onion

CJ

5. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Damn!! I had my credit card ready and everything! [​IMG]

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I heard people coming out of the theater doing the same thing, thinking it was a real commercial (although i don't knwo why they didn't "get" it was in the middle of film trailers). I was laughing outloud.

It seems their marketing is too effective, you're the 3rd person to believe this is real, instead of a will smith movie based on an Isaac Aasimov story.

-V

7. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Great marketing concept. I was even fooled. [​IMG]

8. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

You guys are funny[​IMG]

As soon as I saw this in the middle of the movie previews at my local theatre I knew it was fake.

It's way to polished a website,since they can barely get the Aibo(SP?) to walk upstairs!

B

9. Colin Davidson

Colin Davidson Second Unit
    Supporter

Why do I keep getting flashbacks of "Bicentennial Man" in my brain?!?

10. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

Ah, it all makes sense now. When I first saw the commercial, I figured it was for a movie. Upon looking at the website I was immiedietly confused, not knowing what it was. Thanks for clearing that up.

11. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

12. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    To me, the definite giveaway was "3 Laws Safe". Still, it's easy to see why some people would be misled. The site looks like it was built by a proper Web design company specializing in product presentations.

However, it's NOT a Caves of Steel story although there's definitely a resemblance. This is a new story built around Asimov's Universe. Here's the synopsis from the IMDB.

13. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

For me the give-away was the special "reactor" but honestly...

we can barely make a robot that sweeps the floor, Rosie is a long way aways.

14. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I agree, I'm suprised anybody would fall for this. It's one thing to not know what it's about, it's another to think we're that close to a good robot.

15. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Hmmm, well I'll give them this, it is definitely a different kind of marketing campaign.

Though unless I could send the robot to my classes in my place I wouldn't be interested if it were real.

16. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Finally somebody to walk my AIBO-which couldn't scale stairs to save its (battery) life.

17. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. [​IMG]

18. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

I have to go back to my Asimov anthologies, but didn't he write a short story called "I, Robot"?.

Possible Spoilers Follow.....

IIRC, the story takes place on a research/mining facility on Mercury. Special Modified-Three Law robots are in place to help the human population. They had to have the First Law's Imperatives reduced (A robot may not injure a human being, or through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm). Because robots would refuse to follow orders, or allow humans to work, because the inhospitable nature of Mercury, could cause harm to a human. One Robot manages to slip it's ingrained programming and kill a human. The tampering with the First Law caused instabilities with all three Laws.

Should this also not be in the Movies section?

Now, to earn some geek credits, how many Laws are there? [​IMG]