What's new

Anyone w/ an SVS in an apartment? experiences with neighbors wanted? (1 Viewer)

Keir H

Second Unit
Are there any precautions to do before setting one of these bad boys in an apartment. Should I ask my neighbors if they have any vases or expensive pictures hanging? :) I'm on the first floor of three floors. At low to moderate volumes are these subs safe to use?

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Low to moderate volumes should be fine. What floor are you on? May want to let neighbors know when you will be calibrating the sub. Try not to play it loud after 10 or 11 and be sure to brush up on the noise rules in your apartment. Let them know to call you first if it becomes too loud.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Low to moderate levels should be fine. My apartment complex boasts very thin walls so I'm very careful to keep levels in check, especially during the week. But even when held in check, my sub shines. Of course, when I let it loose in the afternoons or weekends, it destroys.

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
My SVs and I have lived in an apartment since October with no trouble.I usually play atleast 20db below ref and only during the day up until 7 or 8.

Larry_W

Agent
well, this is all good to know. i'm also considering getting a single SVS sub to replace my POS Pioneer Boom-o-matic. just don't want to get evicted because i was having too much fun with the SVS.

Speaking to the landlord...

"Honestly, the guys at HTF made me get one."

Brett_E

Agent
Well, I've had three visits from my neighbor upstairs but no one else has ever said anything. The svs sub really sends out some clean, powerful base. Even moderate levels can and will go through thin walls. I have gotten in the habit of turning down the base after 9 or 10pm and have had no problems since. I also generally play movies only on the weekends or in the afternoon.

How loud you can listen to it depends on how thin the walls are and how cool your neighbors are. Also, it doesn't hurt to be freinds with the manager.

SkiingNinja

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Ries
I'll do a cut 'n paste from another thread from a month back...
I live in an apartment as well. Unfortunately, this building is old and the walls are thin. Also, my lease does have a few stipulations regarding noise. When I moved in, the first thing I did was knock on the doors of every neighbor (one below, one to the left, one down and left). I told them that I just moved and am into HT and music. We all came to an agreement:
* Sunday to Thursday - shut it down at 10PM
* Friday and Sat - 11PM
* If I'm noisy and you don't complain about me, I won't complain about you
* If the music or movie is annoying, come over and join the party!
* If any of the neighbors are really not in the mood for the noise, they can tell the noise maker to turn it down for now and it will be no problem
* I kind of use a point system. The louder they are, the louder I get to be at a later date. Everytime they are annoyingly noisy, I don't say anything...I just get to be just as noisy next time
In the end, I play movies during the day or listen to music and moderate levels. No where near reference, but still loud by apartment standards....and my neighbors do the same. No complaints or problems ever. It's actually kinda cool. When I hear one of them playing a movie of when they have loud guests, I get to turn it up
And for the record...I have dual SVS 20-39 subs with the Samson 700 Amp. You know it's got to be annoying for them sometimes
Sorry for the longish post, but I see/hear this a lot from apartment dwellers.
The moral of the story is: Be friendly and talk to your neighbors ahead of time. If they know you, then the chances of them calling the police on you or complaining to the landlord is greatly diminished.
Here is a link to that thread if you are interested
Sean

Keir H

Second Unit
THanks Sean, I'll do that. Heck I even had the upstairs people come down with my Sony SAWM-40 so I could only imagine what real bass would do through the walls. I'm wondering though, does a 'boomy' sub's bass travel more/harsher or is it the bass at around 20-30 that starts to knock things over? I mean if there's no boom (SVS) then the effect should be smaller right? Get what I'm saying?? ANyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks