What's new

Anyone versed on speaker ohm ratings? (1 Viewer)

Marcus Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
I'll looking for a highly efficient bookshelf set to pair with my Rotel RSX 965 (75 w per channel RMS = 150 w per channel) and a 16-46 CS+ with S1000 amp.
I'll soon be getting another 16-46 :D so I'll have the pair.
I need a bargin set, (relatively speaking) so are the Axiom
M22Tise and matching VP150 my best bet?
I ask because although very efficient the M22 is an 8ohm speaker while the VP150 is a 6ohm... Same for the matching 6ohm surrounds ... What will this mean in terms of power needed to play at reference levels?
http://www.axiomaudio.com/products.cfm?productID=QS8
http://www.axiomaudio.com/products.cfm?productID=VP150
http://www.axiomaudio.com/products.cfm?productID=M22
Or does the efficiency of the speaker negate the need for high wattage? Would the better choice be the 8ohm VP100 and QS4 to go with the M22Ti, therefore giving me 8 ohm speakers all round????
Thanks in advance.

Marcus Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
Another consideration is the Diva setup, but I always play very loudly ... would a set of four 2.1's and the C3 work for me or do I risk damaging the 100w rated Diva 2.1's??
The special on the 4.1 is also appealing, but there is the same issue with the 6 ohm 4.1's and I don't know if it makes sense getting the 4.1's because they will be set to small ... Too the Diva's aren't as efficient as I'd like ...
AARRGGHH HELP!! :angry:
Thanks in advance ...

Ron Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
Generally, the impedence of a speaker system means little in most situations. The only time it may become important is when you parallel two or more units. If you parallel two 8 ohm units, the amplifier will see a 4 ohm load, which requires twice the current. Two 6 ohm units will present a 3 ohm load to the amplifier. Check your amp, and see what the minimum recommended load is, and try to stay at or above that value, or you may cause damage (or at least blow fuses) to the amplifier. Calculate impedence with this formula:

Rt=1/R1+1/R2+1/R3...

Where Rt is total impedence, R1 is speaker 1 impedence, R2 is speaker 2 impedence, and so on.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
No comment on the speaker choices but as to the impedance issue I wouldn't be concerned as long as the speaker is efficient. Most speaker Ohm ratings are based on relatively short dips at certain frequencies. While these dips are certainly capable of causing distortion under load, your power setup seems up to the task with either rating. Efficiency would be key in my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks